Search the forum,

Discuss 0800 or local landline and mobile for new business? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonyk84

Hey guys,

I'm just about to start up on my own, after over 5 years in the trade.

I'm not sure weather to go with a freephone 0800 number directed to mobile or just the standard landline and mobile for business cards, advertisements, leaflets etc.

If anyone can offer me any advice on a freephone number, or how it has effected your business.

Any help and/or advice will be greatly appreciated thanks!

Been on my own for about 14 yrs and never considered having one.

I have an 0800 number and the advantage is, I have moved 3 times since setting up and I would have had to change a landline number each time. But I would like to add most people ring my mobile number. You can look at the stats for the 0800 number online to see number of calls/ what area etc.

I think it depends on your market and what your hoping to achieve and how you want to look.

My theory and I question my customers about this as well:

Free phone numbers have the advantage of (as eco warm states) you can take the number with you. It creates the impression of a large company not a local chap,

Mobile phone number for me is a definete no! Let me explain a little further, I think it 100% correct that you have a mobile number as younger to middle age customers have no problem in calling you on it but some people are wary of having just a mobile number, you can disappear too easily for them. Just a mobile IMO does not give the customer a feeling of security.

Land line is the way to go. It proves to customers your local etc. I have my mobile number on the answer machine so it then gives people the option. If not urgent leave a message if urgent and you have a waterfall through you ceiling, call me on my mobile!

I did start by having all calls from my house transferred to my mobile but I paid for the call from my house to my mobile problem is MARKETING I end up paying to speak to those muppets....

im in the process of buying a 0844 number from bt its about 80 quid and is local rate charge, one off payment and can be diverted to any landline, as im moving house and cant take my landline number with me, i wish i had done this from the start :)

I agree a mobile number on its own doesn't look good. Always at least have a landline number along side it. Ive even had 2 old ladys writing me letters to arrange jobs for them. No i didnt write back to them i phoned them !

I bought an 0845 (local rate) number for £9.99 from a company called uk numbers. This is directed to a VOIP phone connected to my broadband connection (Vonage). I pay approx £10 /month line rental and calls. I have an answer machine telephone connected to this and it picks up messages who dial the 0845 when I'm not home. I also have a business mobile which I carry all the time. I advertise both numbers on all adverts. It works for me.
As every one else has said the 0845 number is transferable if I move.

im in the process of buying a 0844 number from bt its about 80 quid and is local rate charge, one off payment and can be diverted to any landline, as im moving house and cant take my landline number with me, i wish i had done this from the start :)
You paid 80 quid for this! My 0844 number was free, I get itemised lists of who'se called me and it can be used on any landline. I recently moved and took the number with me and had no interruption to my business calls. The customer pays 5p per minute which is cheaper than calling a mobile.

http://www.alphatalk.com/

Think BT are taking the pee here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you find if you ring a mobile from an 0845 number people pick up system?

Recently I've had loads of junk calls from mobile phone providers, yellow pages, advertising scams etc and I just don't answer them now. They ring and ring but I never answer as its always junk.

People calling me on my 0844 number are paying for the call at 5p per minute, only had a few junk calls and I quickly shoot them down by saying who gave you my business number, this is not a private landline!
It's free, it's a great way to advertise out of your own area as their is no area code and I find that it gives me a professional looking number. I'd hate the kids to pick up my phone if it was a landline number! LOL I can also take this number with me, in essence it's my number for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 0800 or local landline and mobile for new business? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock