Search the forum,

Discuss 1 radiator cold on single pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Bragg

The single pipe system comprises 4 downstairs radiators and 7 upstairs. It has worked fine in previous years and all radiators have heated up. It has been dormant all summer and now when kicked into life all the radiators heat up except one. I have removed and flushed out the radiator (very little sludge) and run lots of water out of the 2 tails. This is slightly coloured but nothing too abnormal. This had no effect. I then ran the rad on its own with all the other 10 turned off. The inlet tail got hot but the rad remained cold. I then turned on the upstairs rads and, hey presto, the rad got warm but not exactly hot. Thinking I was on the home straight I then turned on the 4 rads downstairs. This caused the troublesome rad to go completely cold again, so back to square one. I have solicited advice on this problem and have been advised to put in a chemical flush, change the pump, and even told that the system could never have worked because the rad in question is a modern rad while all the others are old flat panel ones. However it HAS worked fine in the past. Also I have been told that the flow is both too low and too high. HELP!!

I had no replies on this problem but I thought I would update the thread to say it is now fixed. It has taken some 4 weeks. It has involved 2 periods of chemical flush with Sentinel X400 and changing the pump. Even this didn't fix it completely and the system was obviously generating its own gas, which I assume was hydrogen, and this was accumulating in the input of the troublesome radiator and preventing any flow through it. I have finally cured this by repeatedly bleeding the radiator over a 2 week period with only the input valve open and adding 2 litres of 4Trade inhibitor. The system now seems to be free of gas and working nicely. So I guess that the system was pretty blocked up and corroded with the corrosive reaction generating gas and causing an airlock in the highest part of the pipework. Frankly I could do without all this sort of hassle and the plan is to heat the house by keeping the multi-fuel stove going all the time. This works a treat and looks nice!!

Missed you first post. Glad you got it sorted. The old sludge bites again!
Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1 radiator cold on single pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock