Search the forum,

Discuss 15 Gallon (68 Ltr) Galvanised Steel Tank Weight in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susan Franks

Hi

I am hoping someone can tell me the weight of an empty (15 gallon (68 Ltr)) galvanised steel cold water storage tank.

Thanks in anticipation!

Probably about 20kg

scrap is about 18p per kg

Thank you but it's not for scrap. I need to know the weight with regard to the manual safe lifting for one man from a top cupboard above head height. Sorry I should have explained in my query. I thought it may weight 22KG but it would be most helpful if I could find the accurate weight. I have web searched to no avail.

he can try it out see if its too heavy then cut it up into pieces if he cant lift it

It's not as easy as that - depends on how close he can get to it and how awkward the space is.

I wouldnt try to lift from above head height - even if it was a plastic one there will be dross in the bottom which could slop about and make a mess. Use some steps and get someone else to assist.

I removed one from the loft once but it wouldn't fit through the hatch so had to use an angle grinder!

I use shears (electric ones not hand ones of course!)

The task has actually been completed (replacement of a galvanised steel 15 gallon cold water storage tank from a top cupboard with a plastic tank). This particular task has raised health and safety issues with employers. A step up was provided and a second man for assistance (although this second man was restricted to light duties) so additional assistance was inadequate. The task was not correctly risk assessed. I need to have confirmation of the weight of this tank or directed to where this information is available to pass this information on to a legal team.

The weight of this tank would be well within the capabilities of the average person. You are only talking slightly bigger than a header tank.
At a rough guess the tank would measure approx 500mm x 400mm x 400mm (80 litre nominal). Thickness 2mm approx 1m2 of steel + around 15kg, 3mm thickness = 21kg
The 20kg limit is only a guide and not a limit.

Next time i take a Netaheat down i am putting another £400 on the job for a hiab hire.

Thanks tamz that sounds about what I anticipated. It's good to get a second opinion.

Yes, if it's just a case of sliding it out and lifting it down, as tamz says it's well within the capabilities of an average man. Sounds like you've got a load of jobsworths there. Seriously did someone have to sit down and fill in a form for lifting an old cistern out?! A single risk assessment for all similar manual handling tasks plus giving the staff suitable training is all I would have expected.

If I am doing a similar task, then I would first get a feel of the load, then get my steps as close as possible and get assistance if necessary.

Face it, 20kg is only the weight of a sack of cement.

Last edited:
Face it, 20kg is only the weight of a sack of cement.

Aye and they have made them half the size since we were young.
When i was an apprentice they guys used to lift 2 (ctw) bags onto my shoulders and get me to climb a ladder.
No doubt we would all have been picking up our P45's if we were to do that these days :frown:

I got right annoyed with my feed merchants - the new animal feed bags are slippery so you can't throw more than 1 over your shoulder at any one time.

Not meaning to be sexist, but as everyone is probably aware, bag sizes were reduced to 20kg because of more women doing what was originally classed as solely mens work.

Do firemen still have to do that test where they had to humpf a ?? weight down a ladder?

I doubt it. There is probably someone doing a risk assessment which says sorry, let them burn.

Sick maybe, but true.

Why is it that some people seem to think you can replace common sense and training with a risk assessment?

Quite a lot i would think gquigley, i bloke i sub for sometimes always asks for a lift i find it harder to do it with two people rather than one

I have a bad back (due to leisure activity not work) so am extra careful, but there's always ways and means to maneuvre things about, and there's guys I can call on. It's about sizing up and planning the work as much as anything else.

i prefer 2 man lift, guys im working with hang it themselves but i dont want a dodgy back lol

Hanging a boiler with 2 men is neigh on impossible unless you have an empty room.
In the real world, it will always be a one man lift. Maybe standing on your mates head to do it but one man is taking most of the weight.

That is one of the main reasons i fit worcs (juniors and si's). Not because i particularly like them better than any others, but because they are light and i am getting older.
I wish they would make the full thing out of plastic!

wouldnt last 5 min's with me and obviously not self employed.
i currently hold the east midlands record for humping out old cylinders and scrap downstairs and out to the van before the customer asks you to leave it in the garage!.

one thing is for sure, things are always lighter when they are going down than they are up...
so, 30kg down opposed to 20kg up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 15 Gallon (68 Ltr) Galvanised Steel Tank Weight in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock