Discuss £150 to fit a boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LPC

I did a landlords gas safety inspection the other morning, and ID'd 1 appliance (an Ideal Mexico), AR'd another (gas fire) and NCS for a water heater. The chimney on the Mexico had seen some sort of collapse. It was only used for the heating and there was a water heater nearby for the water.

I said to the landlord (on the phone) the easiest way around this was take the Mexico and Water Heater out (they are in the same room), put a combi where the water heater was. She said fine and for me to go around asap and do a quote. I WAS going around tomorrow.

She in the meantime had a very well local engineer firm in (they have 2 guys 2 vans) who quoted £150 to take out both appliances and fit a Worcester combi (£800).

£150.

I would have quoted around £550. It's 2 days work for 1 man to do it properly.

Thoughts?

i got a mate who does it for that all the time , drives me up the wall as he just says some money is better than none !!!

150 though for all other materials , chemicals etc they'll be lucky to be breaking even

150 though for all other materials , chemicals etc they'll be lucky to be breaking even

Exactly what I thought. Materials have got to be around £100 at least. Maybe they're strapped for work and just want to be working? Either way, not good for us if there are people out there sticking boilers in for less than minimum wage.

Exactly what I thought. Materials have got to be around £100 at least. Maybe they're strapped for work and just want to be working? Either way, not good for us if there are people out there sticking boilers in for less than minimum wage.

Land lord wasn't trying his luck? Probably not GSR, have no fga as throw it in in 6 hrs on a 15mm supply. Condensate into gutter 21.5 externally?

This time of year we should not be scratching around for work.....very sad state for the business and us.....:thinking:.....especially if we let landlords dictate terms

If they've nicked all the stuff off site or wherever it's a big bonus for them. You can bet that the system won't be flushed and boiler won't be registered so if the landlord calls you back to put their work right, then you should make them pay and hopefully they will learn.

150 is far too cheap! And so was your proposed 550!!

cold weather is here, and the prices go up :p

Ripping out a back breaker Mexico! Plus brick up old holes, rip out water heater, possible upgrade gas... Plus condense, boiler controls trv's? A lot of work there..e

Ripping out a back breaker Mexico! Plus brick up old holes, rip out water heater, possible upgrade gas... Plus condense, boiler controls trv's? A lot of work there..e

Forgetting cylinder or possibly 3ft square box of gold (elson tank) 28mm primaries??

Right i've actually just spoken to her again. She has spoken to the guy again and it is £800 for the boiler (Worcester 24i Junior), £150 labour + materials of £120.

Still, way way cheaper than I would do it for. I should add that this guy/firm is a very well known where I live with nice vans and a decent reputation (well, I haven't heard/seen any horror stories)

ring him up and ask him if you know who he is ? ask how much to change a combi like for like and then you will now that landlord is playing games

ring him up and ask him if you know who he is ? ask how much to change a combi like for like and then you will now that landlord is playing games
She knows that I know him. See him in the merchants all the time but don't know him well enough to start asking questions like that. I'm not a loud, tea-swilling showman like most of the guys in the merchants and this guy is very much like that. Generally I buy my stuff and get out.

There's another firm in my town with 3-4 vans and I know they did a combi swap for my wifes friend (+condensate, a tricky one too) for £300, inc materials. They installed an Ideal Pro Combi with a 9-year guarantee. Her total cost was £900 or something. I didn't even quote her, just told her to go for it.

use these monkeys to do your work and you can stay at home with them grafting and u earning!

they have promise wb but will be some cheap boiler as LL will never go to rented property and see

Id do a combi for 300 if it was as easy as can be. Id be reluctant though. The ProCombi 24 in our merchants is £505 inc so for 900 quid they made 395

She knows that I know him. See him in the merchants all the time but don't know him well enough to start asking questions like that. I'm not a loud, tea-swilling showman like most of the guys in the merchants and this guy is very much like that. Generally I buy my stuff and get out.

There's another firm in my town with 3-4 vans and I know they did a combi swap for my wifes friend (+condensate, a tricky one too) for £300, inc materials. They installed an Ideal Pro Combi with a 9-year guarantee. Her total cost was £900 or something. I didn't even quote her, just told her to go for it.

how can they offer a 9 year warranty on pro combi.

Stan would you do it for £150.00 of sausages

no Mucking way mate , I said it earlier the bulgarian would not do it even for a sausage
I will happily supplay and install a wb 25si for about £2.2k all in

i'm southwest and its common place those prices down here where i am dont get any boiler changes as always get undercut.
The biggest prob where i live the sheer amount of gas engineers absolutely overwhelmed here and its known for it .

Like i said i have a friend who does boiler changes at £150 labour probably the crappest plumbs i know as well but gets 3 or 4 boiler upgrades a month.
No flush or inhibitor he does not have an analyser and if he did would not know how to interpret the readings.

however the custs down here like a deal and its becoming common place that gsr engineers are on less than all other trades

Cheapest prices ive seen in bradford is 950 straight swap pro combi 24 and i bet they dont get flushed or controls upgrading etc. I would' ve thought prices up north would be keener but not from my experience. Although it was quiet may and june.

They can't break even!
They can't possibly be planning to declare tax on it and pay the vat.
As said - must be stolen boiler.
There is no way anyone can work for £150 per day
when that has got to pay overheads like van, phone, insurance, gas safe costs, etc...
Even if they aren't declaring tax.
May as well be doing unskilled work.

The cheapest boiler up here is a sh!te ferolli, £375 2 year guarantee

people will be fitting them for under £700 I reckon

i use to do loads of boiler swaps, can't remember me last one :(

i did do a multipoint swap the other day, lovely jobs them

chemicals, flush, benchmark? what are they - lucky if you get a tightness done at the end of the job

Unfortunately it's like this everywhere. I lost a job a couple of years ago to a lad who was employing two polish guys at 35 quid a day cash in hand, added to the benefits they get its a nice easy wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to £150 to fit a boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock