Discuss 150L Ultrasteel Unvented Cylinder - Water dripping through in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jon2t

I have a 9 year old Ultrasteel unvented cylinder 150L that has recently had a problem with dripping water through the tundish.

I called a qualified unvented cylinder engineer who replaced the hot water temperature/pressure valve, then the cold water pressure valve & now the expansion vessel.

Unfortunately it is still dripping (water is semi cold) and is baffling the engineer.

Would anyone have any advice for me or him to solve this problem?

I understand its process of elimination & past experiences but there must be a solution.

Many thanks

Jon

Have you tried he pressure reducing valve?

Is the expansion vessel correctly sized?

Thanks for the quick reply guys,

He hasn't replaced the pressure reducing valve yet but said if it was the PRV it would be more of a flow than a drip.

The expansion vessel is a 12L that is recommended by Ultrasteel documents..!!

Hi Jon
Why did the engineer replace both the safety valves ? was it not possible to loosen the outlet connection from each one to find out which one was causing the problem ??
Also was the expansion vessel full of water or would not hold a charge ??
Will they not come back & fix the problem for you, for nothing, as they presumable have charged for all the others work.
It is not a go at you Jon, just another case that highlights the difference between qualified & experienced, we are all gaining experience as we go, just don't thing you should paying someone who can't fix what you have employed them to, due to their lack of it.

If all the things replaced are not the problem, then there must be an increase in the system pressure from somewhere which is causing the valve to lift, it could be the PRV or an external cross connection but a pressure gauge connected to the system would show the system pressure to confirm either way, I would get an experienced engineer to have a look.
What area are you ?

Last edited:
As chris said there are easy ways to test the components individually, you don't need to change everyone.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

The guy said the T&P valve is usually the common problem so fitted & got charged £150. It looked fine with no evident signs of scale.

He then came back & changed the Pressure valve which did have scale & he hope that would solve the fault.

He then came back & changed the expansion vessel & pumped it to 3 bar, the old vessel was full of water which he said that the diaphragm had probably split.

It's still dripping after all 3 parts.

I haven't paid for any other parts or labour yet..!!!

I will dispute any labour costs although i can understand to a point the charge for the new parts as long as the price is not inflated.

I agree with you on the qualified & experienced quote....!!!

As a non-qualified plumber you have to trust the company you contact, that’s why i went to a reputable local established firm.

They have been ok & do the work on a Sat where they can but i would like it sorted :)

Cheers

I'm in Essex

I think he would have changed the pressure reducing valve as it should be combined with the relief valve.

Back flow from an unbalanced kitchen sink mixer? Just throwing it out there.

Was the water dripping through Tun dish at the time of his first visit, before he said it was the T&P ? & like wise the second visit ? ("probably split" one push on the schrader valve would tell if it was or wasn't) It is easy to be critical from a far but sometimes when it is basic stuff, I despair, poor or little training I guess.
If you get stuck PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 150L Ultrasteel Unvented Cylinder - Water dripping through in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock