Discuss 15M pump required, one large Vs 2 small in series? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most cylinder thermostats have a differential of about 10C.

3°C is typical for a domestic mechanical cylinder thermostat.

If the hot water is stored at 60C and incoming cold is at 20C, the cylinder temperature will drop to 50C when 25% of the hot water has been used.

This would only be true if the incoming cold mixed completely with the hot water. It doesn't; cylinders are designed to prevent incoming cold disrupting the stratification so the transition between hot and cold as the tank runs out is fairly abrupt.

That's equivalent to two ten-minute showers for a 400 litre cylinder.

A 400 litre (nominal capacity) cylinder at 60°C will be able to supply about 440 litres of mixed water at 50°C, which is a painfully hot shower. A ten minute shower uses between 60 (eco head) and 150 (power shower) litres of mixed water so you should get between 3 and 8 showers out of a tank depending on personal preferences.

3°C is typical for a domestic mechanical cylinder thermostat.
Honeywell L641A = approx 10C
Drayton HTS3 = approx 8C
Danfoss ATC = 6-10C

Only mechanical thermostats with a working anticipator have a differential around 3C; and cylinder thermostats do not have anticipators

How do you design a straight sided cylinder to prevent incoming cold disrupting the stratification?

I wasn't suggesting that showers were normally taken at 50C. The two 10 minute showers assumed that the shower temperature was 40C; i.e. 50% cold @20C and 50% hot at 60C.

Apparently modern condensing boilers are able to carry a higher temperature than older boilers, so a 15mm pipe is able to carry 9kw, a 22mm pipe 24kW and 28mm pipe 70kW.
On that bases if my heat load is only 17kW I only need run 22mm pipe, I don’t need to run any 28mm?

Grundfos advised 1st pump should be configured with autoAdapt, with second pump fixed rate. This way AutoAdapt will adjust accordingly.
But Grundfos said 2nd pump would always be running at 100% which would reduce life and ties in with your comment.

I've got some more realistic prices, difference is about £200

I'm still leaning towards 2 in series.

Interesting discussion about 2 pumps in series. All the literature I've read says that 2 in series increases the head and 2 in parallel increases the flow. What I couldn't quite understand is how 2 pumps in series with different specs work in tandem? Eg. I have a 25-80 with a 15-60 in series - what exactly happens in that scenario, does anyone know?

Interesting discussion about 2 pumps in series. All the literature I've read says that 2 in series increases the head and 2 in parallel increases the flow. What I couldn't quite understand is how 2 pumps in series with different specs work in tandem? Eg. I have a 25-80 with a 15-60 in series - what exactly happens in that scenario, does anyone know?

How far apart are they?

Approximately 4-5m of 28mm pipework. There is also a zone valve in between the 2.

One pump is serving the entire system, the other only a single zone. This zone has the index rad on it and the pump in series is legacy before the 25-80 was fitted. The plan was to remove it but given it was working, it was left in.

Oh I see.
In all honesty, I have only ever sized pumps correctly and fitted the right one. I can't say I have ever experimented with pumps in tandem. I have seen it done but only in a situation where the pump was undersized and someone added another to the circuit further along at the point where the pressure and flow from the original was exhausted. I can see how this may work but it is not something I personally would do.

There is no reason why pipes and pumps cannot be correctly sized for the job they are intended to do.

Apparently modern condensing boilers are able to carry a higher temperature than older boilers
It's nothing to do with higher temperature, e.g. 80C compared to 70C, but with the greater difference between flow and return temperatures, i.e 20C compared to 11C. The larger difference is achieved by a lower flow rate - 14.35 litres/min @ 20C compared to 26.1 lpm @ 11C for a 20kW boiler.

The lower flow rate (lmp) means that the water velocity (metres/sec) is reduced proportionally. Experiments have shown that the water velocity needs to be above 0.3 metres/sec (to reduce the chance of sludge settling in horizontal pipes) and below 1.5 metres/sec (to reduce the noise caused by the water passing through the pipe.

The pdf "Small bore heating systems", which I attached earlier, has more information.

Oh I see.
In all honesty, I have only ever sized pumps correctly and fitted the right one. I can't say I have ever experimented with pumps in tandem. I have seen it done but only in a situation where the pump was undersized and someone added another to the circuit further along at the point where the pressure and flow from the original was exhausted. I can see how this may work but it is not something I personally would do.

There is no reason why pipes and pumps cannot be correctly sized for the job they are intended to do.

It's a bit of a mish mash to be honest. The 25-80 should be more than sufficient for that zone so the second circulator needs to come out at some point. Probably when the Low Loss Header goes in :)

I was just intrigued as to how it worked as logically it doesnt make sense to me that a second slower pump can work in tandem with one which is capable of much higher flow rates. But it does work, so not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 15M pump required, one large Vs 2 small in series? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

W
Hi all, firstly I know this has probably been covered several times elsewhere but I haven't seen it with the exact same requirements as ours so...
Replies
Views
TBServices
T

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back