Search the forum,

Discuss 22mm gas pipe running behind a partition wall in a kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones82

Gas Engineer
One of my customers is redesigning his kitchen, the plan is to build a stud partition wall in front of the party wall, which currently has an internal soil stack, mains fuse box, consumer unit and at low level a 22mm gas pipe running along the party wall and then under floor to the boiler at the back of the house.

I know the regulations state a gas pipe in a cavity should take the shortest route but this seems different.

It's far from an air tight void, the gas is 22mm soldered copper and in my eyes no different than running under the floor boards.

Previously this pipe work was boxed in but the plan is to have a full height partition wall and then kitchen units in front of it.

I just had a thought, the gas pipe would be visible after taking the plinths off the kitchen units, if the joiner doesn't plasterboard right to the floor...??

Bit of a ramble sorry, haha hope I've made myself clear.

It all depends on the cross section area of the void. Can't remember the exact sizes off the top of my head, I'd need to check my papers, but depending on the size depends on the required ventilation for the void.

The "void" is huge and I don't think could be classed as such, it's a stud wall in front of an existing brick wall at least 4-5mx2.4m ceiling height, 250mm depth, there is a no chance this area could fill with gas without it leaking out into the room and adjoining rooms it's no where near air tight.

It all depends on the cross section area of the void. Can't remember the exact sizes off the top of my head, I'd need to check my papers, but depending on the size depends on the required ventilation for the void.

If the cross sectional area is more than 0.01m2 and the volume less than 0.01m3 no vent required, however that can be easily met by boxing the pipe in behind the partition, check the training notes you have or BS 6891 which give the diagrams of how it can be run behind walls to ensure it's sealed, dependant on how the wall is being constructed

The "void" is huge and I don't think could be classed as such, it's a stud wall in front of an existing brick wall at least 4-5mx2.4m ceiling height, 250mm depth, there is a no chance this area could fill with gas without it leaking out into the room and adjoining rooms it's no where near air tight.

The size only matters as to whether it's called a big void or a small void, because a void is a space behind something, so what you are describing would be a big void that would need ventilated, unless you build in round the pipe to ensure it doesn't need a vent, check out BS6891 or whatever training notes you have from CCN1, it's all in there

I would just get a qualified person to move the pipe to the surface of the new wall behind the cupboard of the kitchen. A lot safer, easier to alter the pipework to suit new kitchen layout, no chance of an explosive build up in the void.

A bunch of attractive soffit vents dotted around the wall would be handsome. ;)

I would just get a qualified person to move the pipe to the surface of the new wall behind the cupboard of the kitchen. A lot safer, easier to alter the pipework to suit new kitchen layout, no chance of an explosive build up in the void.
there's the best answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 22mm gas pipe running behind a partition wall in a kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock