Discuss Timer Firing Up Boiler for Water, not for Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a Climote (but re-badged by Scottish Electric) timer, which I think has developed a fault, and need some advice as I have a problem.

First off, I have a Valiant traditional boiler, pressure good, power good and regular servicing. I note that when I ask the Climote for HW, the boiler fires up, lights and starts to heat the water.

If I try the same for Heating, and the Climote says it is on, but nothing happens on the boiler at all.

I have checked the external thermostat, and it is reporting 10dg lower temp than the target temp - so I don't think it is that.

Any ideas what this might be. Have reset the timer, checked the boiler pressure and power and all seems good.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Cheers, Mark.

Hello, - do you have any motorised valves (zone valves)? A motorised valve for radiators could have failed and can be manually switched on with the lever slide button.
Check if you have a zone thermostat, (often wall mounted) that it is at correct temperature.

Hello, - do you have any motorised valves (zone valves)? A motorised valve for radiators could have failed and can be manually switched on with the lever slide button.
Check if you have a zone thermostat, (often wall mounted) that it is at correct temperature.

I will re-check the zone thermostat tomorrow in the day light, but when I check it via the app, it seems to be reporting the right temp (17deg), but will check it. I will also check the airing cupboard for the diverter valve too, and from memory it is the usual electro-magnetic type, with a manual override.

Again - thanks - I had assumed that regardless of the pump or diverter working, the boiler would fire up to start the process of heating the water for the system - or am I just being silly (probably)!

Thanks again. Mark.

It will look something like his mate but not necessarily exact. You will more then likely find it is not motoring to the heating position and probably needs a new motor fitting.

312CB98F-66E7-440E-AC00-54E8AAEFD71B.png

The motorised valve send live back to the boiler. Which then tells the boiler to come on.

I will re-check the zone thermostat tomorrow in the day light, but when I check it via the app, it seems to be reporting the right temp (17deg), but will check it. I will also check the airing cupboard for the diverter valve too, and from memory it is the usual electro-magnetic type, with a manual override.

Again - thanks - I had assumed that regardless of the pump or diverter working, the boiler would fire up to start the process of heating the water for the system - or am I just being silly (probably)!

Thanks again. Mark.

Usually the motorised valves are actually what puts the power to the boiler, not your programmer or thermostat.
The valve gets power to open from programmer and stat, but the valve has to open fully to operate a micro switch inside it, switching a permanent live to boiler. If there is mechanical or micro switch failure in the valve, then boiler might not work
Edit, Harvest Fields beat me to it, and said it simpler. :)

Usually the motorised valves are actually what puts the power to the boiler, not your programmer or thermostat.
The valve gets power to open from programmer and stat, but the valve has to open fully to operate a micro switch inside it, switching a permanent live to boiler. If there is mechanical or micro switch failure in the valve, then boiler might not work
Edit, Harvest Fields beat me to it, and said it simpler. :)
Still an awesome and informative post Best. For me it is normally the other way around. Shaun normally gets there as I’m typing. :p:p

I typed too much and you then beat me in the race.
Your post is much easier to understand than my rambling.:p
Too busy for long answers mate. People are lucky to get more then a paragraph out of me normally. :p:p;)

I find that if people need more of an explanation they will ask. If not then the mist understand:p:p:p

Still an awesome and informative post Best. For me it is normally the other way around. Shaun normally gets there as I’m typing. :p:p

:D i was gaming so thats why ;)

and i normally use bullet-points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Timer Firing Up Boiler for Water, not for Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock