Discuss A new idea for a plumbers merchant, I think. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi folks,

I'm purposefully not mentioning my website here as I don't want to be done for advertising but I would like some honest feedback on this idea.

I've run a plumbing company of my own for a few years now and one thing that has always annoyed me is that I get the same prices at merchants whether I buy on credit or with cash.

I'm looking at starting up a merchant with the following (fairly radical) ideas: -

1.) Payments would be by BACS or cash only. No credit/debit cards or credit accounts would be accepted. In return prices would be lower than the merchants can offer at present.

2.) Local pickup only (for larger items) or shipping for smaller items - fittings etc. Once volumes increase sending larger items (pipe/cylinders) by courier becomes possible.

3.) Reward points which equates to actual cashback in December, just in time for Christmas. The more you use us the more you would get, basically a thanks for supporting us.

Effectively it would be the Asda of plumbers merchants - no frills but cheap prices. This said, the aim would be to provide top-quality UK products, not cheap Chinese stuff!

Feel free to be as brutally honest as you want, better to find out what people think now rather than once we've started it up!

my opinion is you would not be able to get the prices the the big boys get as you wont be buying enough items to get a low price

add to that UK only products and your prices will be much higher

IMHO

I would have agreed with you before I started looking into it but the reality is that there's actually not much difference in price from the manufacturer between say a 1 ton order of copper and 10 tons. When you buy is far more important. Also, by keeping overheads down (i.e. operating it over the internet and without credit accounts) you can save more than this difference in costs.

If it was achievable what would you think of it as an idea?

I struggle to think it is achievable, would need to see a proper business plan tbh

you have the fact that you will be combating loyalty customers have with their merchants

you dont have a brand at all (or a small one)

would you want to do the reward points thing or just a no thrills low prices sort of thing?

what do you have set up in the way of premises/storage as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A new idea for a plumbers merchant, I think. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock