Discuss A question for those who are full-time busy and self-employed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
How many years did it take you to go from your first private customer to having a workload sufficient to consider yourself full-time?

I understand things are quieter than usual for many but if, averaged over the year say, you will expect to work most of the day for most of the working days of the month, this question is for you. I'm also aware the routes getting you to this situation will vary (include them if you think they're relevant i.e. inheriting a customer-base or subbing half your work off a company.)

And looking at the industry now would you suspect the road would be that much longer if you were starting down it again today?

Sane here, about 4 years.

I believe that location plays a big part in it now more than ever in these trying times. The big cities seem to have too many plumbers chasing too much work. Small to medium sized towns seem to have a better balance between work and the amount of plumbers chasing it, but again that's down to Regional location too.

The benchmark has always been 5 years,get past that and you can class yourself as established..........or so they say

Thats as long as you are
Building your customer base and do not fall into the trap of putting all your eggs in one basket.........and you know your job and move with the times

Imho

It took me 4 years to get to a situation where I was more or less full time self-employed, then came the recession. Since last September spent a lot of time posting flyers, putting ads in local shops etc and still spending too much time sat on my backside.

Only advertising I do is BNI . Not for everyone but has worked bloody well for me

Only advertising I do is BNI . Not for everyone but has worked bloody well for me

this will seem a silly question to those who know the answer (like most questions) but as i dont know then i ask
"what is BNI"

Only downside to BNI is they only allow one company per trade, so if there is already a plumber in your local BNI, you cant get involved! there are 4 BNI groups local to me and each one already has a plumber

I'd be putting yourself on there subs list so if the plumber leaves your in

Didnt know you could do that, thanks Bod. TBH I would like a few more years experience before I joined someone like BNI, don't want to throw my money away

Like I said it's not for everyone but on my first visit I got a job for 8k enough profit in that to pay for my years membership subs extra holiday an still some change lol

how much is your membership bod? do you literally just meet up every week and share jobs with each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A question for those who are full-time busy and self-employed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back