Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on which boiler to choose in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I currently have installed a Worcester Greenstar 24i Junior boiler in my 2 bed house, I think it's about 12 years old and it's generally been fine (except it is a bit annoying that you can't alter the hot water temperature). but it's getting a bit cranky and faulty now.

My regular engineer suggested that I put in a 30 model to serve the house a bit better when it packs up, but it seems it would require a 22mm gas pipe rather than the 15mm that serves the 24i, in other words a fair bit of hassle as the gas meter is a distance away.

I wondered if anyone could suggest which make/model would be the most straightforward to fit ?
Also, what are your thoughts on buying second hand/ uninstalled boilers ?

Thanks in advance

I strongly urge you not to consider buying a second hand boiler. This has often been the case in the past and the homeowners end up paying more to fix problems than they initially saved.
Every engineer has their preferred manufacturers to use but I would suggest a Viessmann based on their quality, reliability and good modulation. A two bedroom house will have quite little heat loss during the warmer months and good modulation is going to increase efficiencies and boiler life span. I would also consider how you’re going to control heating as well. Viessmann come with advanced weather compensation controls as standard but I’d also take into consideration the occupancy frequency, type of emitters, buildings thermal mass etc. Any boiler can be installed and work but if you really want the best from the system and reduce your gas consumption as best possible then system design and commissioning is paramount.

I strongly urge you not to consider buying a second hand boiler. This has often been the case in the past and the homeowners end up paying more to fix problems than they initially saved.
Every engineer has their preferred manufacturers to use but I would suggest a Viessmann based on their quality, reliability and good modulation. A two bedroom house will have quite little heat loss during the warmer months and good modulation is going to increase efficiencies and boiler life span. I would also consider how you’re going to control heating as well. Viessmann come with advanced weather compensation controls as standard but I’d also take into consideration the occupancy frequency, type of emitters, buildings thermal mass etc. Any boiler can be installed and work but if you really want the best from the system and reduce your gas consumption as best possible then system design and commissioning is paramount.
Thanks, yes I was kind of expecting that response about 2nd hand boilers to be honest, but I thought there may be some recommended reconditioned sellers.

It's a two up two down mid-terrace cottage with 6 radiators with TRVs and a one room thermostat, I was really thinking about not having to change the gas pipe (thus ripping up the house somewhat) and simplest for the engineer to swap over (the flue exits at the top if it makes a difference)

The engineer installing the new boiler will/should be aware if the existing gas supply needs to be upsized. The existing flue hole can still be used if everything measures up.

If you have been happy with the hot water performance of your boiler then you could go for the same output next time.
The gas pipe still may be undersized though.

where I live everything is Worcester its all customers want, so who am i to argue, its probably because Worcester is only a few miles away, I will have retired before the warranty ends. I am not a fan of Worcester products never have been, never been engineer friendly, I use to fit Glowworm, have one at home been good as gold, one of local engineers will only fit Glowworm, if you only have a shower a 24 is adequate if you have a bath I would fit a 30 or above, its all about hot water flow rate, number of radiators doesn't matter

Reply to Advice on which boiler to choose in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock