Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please with sink plugs! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eclef

Hi, I'm currently "living" with my decorator/plumber who has been renovating the house. He has just ordered and fitted some new bathroom taps that I paid relatively quite a lot for. I'm not very good with the technical language I'm afraid, but the plug hole part of the sink, is a push type - i.e. push it once to close it, push it again and it pops up.

The problem is that when the basin/bath contains water, and the plug is closed, over time the water slowly disappears. I guess it's escaping past the rubber ring where the plug and sink meet.

We mentioned it to our decorator, and he said that it's actually a good thing that water is slowly escaping, because we don't have an overflow hole in the sink. However, I am guessing that he just doesn't want to fit the taps and plugs again.

Can anyone offer some advice here - are they designed to do that? (I have problem believing that), or could they have been fitted badly (the decorator has done a very good job so far), or could I have just picked a bad make/style of tap? (he showed us a catalogue and said they were reputable).

Hope theres enough information here, really looking forward to any advice before I go and blindly order him to change them :)

Thanks in advance
E

generally it's not going past the rubber on the plug normally the sealing washer that seals the metal part to the china basin isn't big enough i always take that washer off & put loads of sealant around the hole in the basin then push the metal waste into it tighten it up underneath then clean off the sealant that has pushed out, leave it to dry before putting water into it, i'm not a great lover of these clik clac basin wastes as you have to put your hands back in the dirty water to release the plug then u have to wash em again u might as well not bother with the plug in the 1st place

Thanks for the quick response. I know it's not your job but can you recommend what I should say to the decorator? I feel a bit odd telling him I went on the internet and it turns out he hasn't done a good enough job of sealing it. Can you suggest how I ask him what to do, or how to explain it to him? Would you recommend that if he's going to fix them, I switch to the other kind of basin waste instead?

The other problem with the click clack design is that it takes forever to empty a full basin or bath for example, which is a pain if I want to clean the basin/bath straight away for another person to use. I wonder if I can get a refund on this sort of thing.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
i doubt you would get a refund after installation.
as keith says it is most likely escaping between the sink hole and the clik clak fitting. it will just want removing and adding a bead of silicone sealant. before you do this just remove the klic clak centre(should just lift out or will unscrew) around the side edge there will be a black rubber 'o' ring, just check that this isn't twisted and fits flush into the groove.

KJ

i doubt you would get a refund after installation.
as keith says it is most likely escaping between the sink hole and the clik clak fitting. it will just want removing and adding a bead of silicone sealant. before you do this just remove the klic clak centre(should just lift out or will unscrew) around the side edge there will be a black rubber 'o' ring, just check that this isn't twisted and fits flush into the groove.

KJ

I had click clack wastes fitted in my en-suite, they were more trouble than they were worth. Eventually changed them to wastes with a chain and plug. Much more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice please with sink plugs! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock