Discuss Aga loud bang then yellow water in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks I have a gravity feed Aga twice in the last week a very loud bang came out of it, not from the fire box (its oil fired) but from the hot water side i immediately ran the hot tap and the water was yellow for a time then went clear, i am thinking a valve is sticking somewhere anyone had this problem and know which valve it could be or if its anything else
Olly

So i assume its a gravity fed and feeding just hot water? No heating?
Where did the bangs originate from? In the burner chamber or the hot water cylinder?
For safety's sake I suggest turning the oil off at the OCV until someone can find and rectify the problem.

Thanks for your replies. i did turn it off strait away and had a good look today it only heats water and the bang came from the water chamber the fact that the water then went yellow i agree would suggest it was boiling or very close i cant find a blow off valve or outlet pipe or anything to stop it exploding should get to hot as far as i can see its a completely sealed system this makes no sense to me as far as i am concerned its a time bomb so for the moment its staying off any more advice would be appreciated

So this is a vaporising sleeve burner on a completely sealed system? No header tanks in the loft? This is installed wrong and dangerous as you say.
Are you sure its not a primatic cylinder?

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. i did turn it off strait away and had a good look today it only heats water and the bang came from the water chamber the fact that the water then went yellow i agree would suggest it was boiling or very close i cant find a blow off valve or outlet pipe or anything to stop it exploding should get to hot as far as i can see its a completely sealed system this makes no sense to me as far as i am concerned its a time bomb so for the moment its staying off any more advice would be appreciated
Get a professional in to take a look it sounds dangerous to to me . Kop

Reply to Aga loud bang then yellow water in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
    • Love
I recently moved to a house with an oil fired Aga. After it sooted up, I adjusted the settings on the BM-30 type oil control valve but am...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Back