Discuss AGA servicing coures / books ect ect in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Thinking of doing my oftec so i can get some work servicing aga's. the guy that does it near me is giving it up due to old age, there is no one else doing it locally so was thinking of training up to do it, im allready a qualified plumber to nvq3 and have experience (been plumbing since i left school full time) but i have no experience in agas , only on oil boilers (pressure jet) . anybody know where i could get some decent training / books , videos ect ect or some training courses in agas/rayburns?? and are they that dificult to service/repair , compared to a combi ?? any info would be great! thanks

Have you looked on the oftec website for training establishments near you?

And good luck!

yes i know where the assesment will be just i would like to chanse it cluless jest with a certificate, would like to get some propper training or some good books, dvd's ect ect if you know what i mean, are agas and rayburns that dificult to service tho?

I'll be honest don't touch them myself. But oftec courses are engineered for you knowing nothing of the course in hand. I would just go to the manufacturers sites and download as many mi's as you can.

thats the way a lot of plumbers feel about them this way "i dont touch them" but i dont know why. there is a lot of them aroud this way aswell. have you heard that they are a nightmare to service or something?

Not much call for it over here tbh. I've been asked to look at 1 in the 8 years I've been here.

Aga's are a pain in the backside, which is why I don't do them and why Aga themselves charge about 140 for a visit. Why not approach the guy who's packing in?

Aga does not do any training courses for agas they keep all servicing in house if possible. They will do a training course for rayburns if you are in an area they are short of guild engineers covering it. However you want to note that currently I believe there are over 30 different rayburn models in production and they will send you to any of them if you hold gas or oil tickets or heatas as well, and they expect you to get it right as its their name on your van (Rayburn Guild) they also throw agas at you if they are to busy or more likely the aga is out of warranty. Youll be expected to be able to replace the top oven stat easily and that only involves lifting the top cover off, damage the enamelling and thats ÂŁ400-500 for a new top!! You need to be confident with vapourising burners as Aga will not certify any conversions put into rayburns or AGAs be they gas or oil. A poor burning vapourising burner can make a heck of a mess and a lot of CO. Agas are a bit of a pig to work on as the hot spots can be v heavy, so dont drop them on the nice black top cover, but apart from that they are great to work with. Only advice is never ever try to service an oil raburn nouvelle cooker/boiler, you wont achieve a happy outcome and youll be there all day and back for the rest of the week, so say the aga training techies. I havent had the pleasure of one yet, as I took their advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of ours has an Aga in their very old cottage 2/300 years old !

He needed a new heat exchanger in the unit and was quoted nearly ÂŁ2.5K to supply and fit. I looked at the job as a favour and declined to get involved, the heat exchanger was near on ÂŁ1k.

In the end it took the Aga guys nearly a week to sort out. Glad I didn't get involved.

Aga/Rayburn did send me a few emails asking to attend their training courses 8/10 months ago, not many around here so I didn't take it further.

Nouvelles aren't too bad, just quite time consuming, dirty and thirsty. I only have 2 on the books at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to AGA servicing coures / books ect ect in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock