Discuss air trapped in boiler circuit (SOLVED) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
referring to this thread:

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/71305-air-trapped-boiler-circuit.html

after pulling hair out with the plumber, not wanting to sort this, I started looking at the boiler manual and noticed the gravity and pump connections to the boiler cross on the heat exchanger. hmm, turned on heating felt pipes, sure enough they had plumbed the flow and return wrongly, as they used the existing gravity connections and got it wrong upstairs in the cupboard. so now hes coming back to sort it, im going to suggest he cuts the 28's and connects to the capped off 22's, as this is the correct connection for a pumped circuit.

what worries me is this is a Gas Safe engineer who agued with me that there wasn't a problem. I recently had the GS cert for the install come through, with an invitation to have the install inspected by them. im seriously considering taking them up on this. my only concern is if they condemn the setup, as I could end up having spent the money only to get no where with GS and the plumber e.g. GS turn it off and the plumber is under no obligation to sort it.

referring to this thread:

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/71305-air-trapped-boiler-circuit.html

after pulling hair out with the plumber, not wanting to sort this, I started looking at the boiler manual and noticed the gravity and pump connections to the boiler cross on the heat exchanger. hmm, turned on heating felt pipes, sure enough they had plumbed the flow and return wrongly, as they used the existing gravity connections and got it wrong upstairs in the cupboard. so now hes coming back to sort it, im going to suggest he cuts the 28's and connects to the capped off 22's, as this is the correct connection for a pumped circuit.

what worries me is this is a Gas Safe engineer who agued with me that there wasn't a problem. I recently had the GS cert for the install come through, with an invitation to have the install inspected by them. im seriously considering taking them up on this. my only concern is if they condemn the setup, as I could end up having spent the money only to get no where with GS and the plumber e.g. GS turn it off and the plumber is under no obligation to sort it.

If you really are concerned about the boiler install then ask yourself one question........What is more important, the cost of putting it right or yours and your families safety? There are avenues to go down if it did cost you money to put right if indeed there was something not right with the installation.

it is the unvented im more worried about, as this was what I paid to have installed. the boiler was original to the house when we bought it. all he has done is to change it from a gravity tiny un-insulated hot water tank to a stelflow fully pumped setup.

I know its probably not what you want to hear but I doubt Gas Safe will be interested in an unvented install. Yes, you may get them to come and inspect, but I doubt they will do anything about it, if there are any faults on it.

Maybe post a picture of the airing cupboard on here and we can tell you if you have anything to worry about.

Getting the pipes crossed over is not a sign he is a cowboy, if he is willing to come and rectify it then he is probably a decent engineer who just made a mistake.

if you look at the thread I linked to there is a pic on there. he probably is ok, but just lazy. so far ive had to remind him to send the commissioning data to RM so I get a cert, lag the install myself (as I didn't know he was supposed to do it), and get him back after lots of excuses as to why I had air trapped due to him or his workers not connecting the circuit up properly. now im not a plumber, im electrical bit of electronics mainly computer skilled did plumbing with a plumber when I was 17 for 3 months then spent 9 years building various control panels for water ind and heating and vent. yet after about 10 mins with the boiler service/install manual id figured what had happened, just wished id looked at the manual earlier.

I know its probably not what you want to hear but I doubt Gas Safe will be interested in an unvented install. Yes, you may get them to come and inspect, but I doubt they will do anything about it, if there are any faults on it.

Maybe post a picture of the airing cupboard on here and we can tell you if you have anything to worry about.

Getting the pipes crossed over is not a sign he is a cowboy, if he is willing to come and rectify it then he is probably a decent engineer who just made a mistake.

re gas safe, this is what I expected. it seems partially BS to be honest, bit like the trade federations.

Last edited:
well plumber sent round new rookie to sort things. initially wanted to cross the 28's. I said why not use the proper boiler connections for a pumped flow, he grumbled and said they get better flow on the gravity circuit connections. anyway after calling his boss his boss said if I wanted the pumped flow connections then he would connect to them.

some time later he was ready to fill. ill post a pic later. he connected the 28's via some compression fittings to some 22's which then connect to the boiler via compression fittings. he seems to like compression fittings. where he had to dogleg a rad pipe out of the way he did do some soldering. well after fill we had a leak on the 28 and the rad soldering. so does up the 28 compression coupler and re-solders the rad pipe. re fill another leak on the same rad pipe but from a different section. 3rd time no leaks crosses fingers.

I was going to get a plumber to fit my water softener, but after this experience and the fact I cant get any others to quote let alone return my txt's, I think ill have a go myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to air trapped in boiler circuit (SOLVED) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock