Discuss allowed drop when doing a tightness test... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with all. The regs are not that specific. If I service a boiler, it is not a requirement to carry out a TT of the whole system (LDF sufficient or test from the inlet test point). In the case of a landlord check, I do a TT because the landlord has a duty to pipework and although it does not tell you everything, at least it will be tested and left safe. I have been to properties and found gas leaks on the carcass during a gas safety check, therefore I think there is benefit to do the TT in a LGSR.

everytime i go to touch any gas pipework i will do a tt before hand and thgen after.
for example if i was going to fit a cooker i would do a tt before and after.
I think anyone who thinks you can do a landlord safety check without carrying out a tt is very wrong.
Landlords have a duty to make sure propertys are safe and without an annual tightness test along with the other parts of the check this cannot be properly confirmed.
how anyone can touch anything that carries gas and not carry out a very simple 5 min job of tt is beyond me.
The regs can be interprotated in different ways but I think if you had gas safe on one of your jobs like on a probation visit and told them you were doing safety checks but not doing a tt they would tell you that is wrong.

I think if you had gas safe on one of your jobs like on a probation visit and told them you were doing safety checks but not doing a tt they would tell you that is wrong.

No they wouldn't. They may however say it was advisable.

Gas Safe register inspector, will ask you to do TT. But if you look on the standard LGSR form, at tightness testing box, it asks pass or fail; does it mention not tested?

Steve i have to disagree with you on this one.
I know full well it is advisable and good practice to do one. I do one. 90% of fitters do one. But, it is not a legal requirement.
The people who make the forms don't make the rules. You just score it out or write N/A, not tested or whatever else you want to fulfill the usual CYA.

what would happen for example if you done a landlord safety check on a property on the monday morning then on the friday of the same week there was a gas explosion at that same property due to a gas leak?
Gas Safe and the hse would want to see the landlords up to date gas safety records which would then have a n/a next to the part that says tightness test pass or fail.
Do you think this would be acceptable to do? I think they would not be too happy with you whether they could charge you or not with a criminal offence is irrelevant they would not accept an not applicable next to the tt bit of form,
If I am wrong then you learn something new every day

Tamz we have to agree to disagree then. The LGSR CP12 form was proposed by CORGI at the time and approved by The Health & Safety Executive as compliance with the regulations. If we take the regulations literally then I agree with you, because its not specific. No problem if you write not tested, but does this forefill the landlords duties? Maintain gas pipes.

Well 3456 you have indeed learned something, believe me.
I am not saying it is right, just stating it as it is.

Btw, a tightness test is just a snapshot in time of how things are.

In your example above, say a TT carried out on the Monday, the tenant decides to fix that squeaky board just after you leave and nails a pipe. He has no sense of smell and wakes with a bang (or doesn't) on the Tuesday. He is not around to say he nailed a few boards but your paperwork says all was well on Monday..........................

Steve
It would be so easy to change the wording on the regs but once again who are we????

Agree totally, Snap shot TT (MOT on the motor only as good as it leaves the test centre). But the HSE like to see it done. Its all about covering the butt. Ultimately the landlord has the resposibility, so he employs me, to do the LGSR to forefill his duty. The landlords duty is to get a registered business to check the gas safety of the dwelling he is renting. If I do not put a TT on the system, that could be seen as not maintaining the gas pipe. If something happens there after that requires investigation, then, its easier to say, I tested at the time and it was safe.

On the button tamz. I myself was caught up in a small incident where a TT was carried after work, but fittings were disturbed the same day resulting in a gas leak.
The installation was gas tight when I left and thankfully the incident was fully investigated and had no implication on myself.

It is good practise to do a TT, but unless you are cutting into pipework etc., it is not a requirement and if you do not do one during normal course of work such as annual service etc., but have had no smell of gas and used LDF on disturbed test points. You have completed the job as per the regs and should have nothing to worry legally.

I agree with you Steve. But the regs and wording need sorting out.

As for the example i gave above.
Last week i was doing an install in an empty tenement in Leith (Edinburgh). Everything finished tested and commisioned.
Couple of boards still up to sweep the dust under. Apprentice laid the boards back. Getting the tools and gear out to the van and i give it another final test before closing the door as i always do. I can see a drop straight away but let it go for the 2 mins. 7mb drop and know it was fine an hour earlier. No smell of gas either. Bit of a moan to the boy (putting it mildly) and lift the last few boards to go down and sure enough a nail through the gas. It is easily done and we have all done it. (if he had nailed a heating pipe and flooded the downstairs house i would have probably hung him out the window by the ankles:eek:)
Word to the wise.
Make sure a test is the last thing you do before leaving.

Graham
Glad it came out ok but i know it would have been a worrying time. Thankfully has never happened to me but it could happen to anyone.

This has been a good thread with a lot of information and things to think about:)

I'm away to take the dogs for a quick walk.

Btw. did i mention i hate cats :D

Thats exactly the point. GrahamM. You did everything to the book. Recorded on the form on the date and time you were there. Only as good as you left it. But at least you did the TT. Professional approach, document what you do.

it only takes 5 min and what we dont want is this to turn around to be the most important 5 min in your life thereafter full of regret !!!

doing the test isnt the issue, here it is working within the regs on the result of the test, as i have already said, if you test when not mandatory, do you then test carcass only and shut a system down as it has a 0.5mb drop, or invoice Xhrs @£X's to find it, then when the customers moans to another engineer to be told the test and invoice wasnt mandatory, your useful help/professional attitude will be the cause of a moan from a customer who is £400 down, they wont see it as a potential safety feature for their family, we know what they are like

no it doesnt, when i do a service properly i disconnect as required and then when i put the bits back together i test everything to the nearest downstream valve (the appliance iso ) with LDF, and i fully comply with the regs, when doing LGSC's it was part of our contract/price to do a TT, but a contract which is stricter than the regs doesnt make it mandatory for every job, it is reasonable for us all to have slightly different points of view on things, but i think it is totally unprofessional for some of us not to know the regs

Yeah,i totally agree........but a CP12 is a GAS SAFTEY CERTIFICATE.......so if your not testing the gas carcuss then how are you fully checking the gas in that property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to allowed drop when doing a tightness test... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock