Discuss Am I being taken for a ride? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I could use some genuine advice please. I employed a plumber to check why my boiler was leaking. He has been 4 times now, replaced the expansion vessel, PRV, o rings and washers.
He messaged last week to say leak was fixed but when you put the hot water on it was making the radiators hot. He went back today to fix this, said he’d put a spring in the wrong way. Today I’ve found out that the only way I can get hot water is to have the heating on. It wasn’t This way before he stripped the boiler! He text me tonight saying he’ll call the boiler manufacturer Monday but that it’s more hassle than he wants or needs.
So my bill is at £700, and from what I can tell he’s made things worse not better. Am I being taken for a ride? Should he now be solving this on his own time or is he right to expect me to keep paying him for these visits? I don’t know how to proceed but can’t afford to keep paying huge amounts of money out to no avail. Any advice please?

yep i would say since you could of had a fixed price repair from the manufacture for around the 300 mark and they would of fixed it (worst case)

hell your not that far off from the cost of a new boiler (just the boiler)

what boiler is it?

It’s a Morco Feb-24ed. I just don’t know what to do next as I think he’ll get confrontational if I explain I expect him to put it right and not bill me beyond the boiler re-assemble.

It’s a Morco Feb-24ed. I just don’t know what to do next as I think he’ll get confrontational if I explain I expect him to put it right and not bill me beyond the boiler re-assemble.

i would of went for a new boiler sorry to say any more than 3 years on a morco is good most often there installed in caravans and are hell for spares you can only buy direct so take ages

i would of went for a new boiler sorry to say any more than 3 years on a morco is good most often there installed in caravans and are hell for spares you can only buy direct so take ages
I did ask early on in the repair visit whether it was getting to the point where a new boiler would make sense but he didn’t think so. what would you do next if you were me please?

i would want a full break down of costs and why all those parts needed changing

Shaun is absolutely correct that is your next move. You don't need to worry too much what happens next yet (easy for me to say I know) just ask for that breakdown in costs first. You don't even need to go into any detail or start making complaints yet. You are perfectly within your rights to have a cost breakdown whatever the circumstances. If he gets difficult and you don't know what to do, please come back here and ask about the next steps. The folks here are great and if they can help you they will.

Anyone doing honest work can and should provide that information.

Reply to Am I being taken for a ride? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back