Discuss And we wonder why British tradesmen have to work hard to build a good name. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
When you get idiots like the muppet that installed this central heating system.

photo.jpg

Why bother cutting out separate joists when you can just plonk heating pipework directly on top of electrical cables. Got called to the house as the electrics where tripping. After fixing a leaking cistern and pointing out that more of the water from the shower was going down behind the bath than into the waste, I found this today.

The cables had melted, one of them right down to the line conductor which was in contact with the copper pipework on the heating system. This was constantly tripping the electrics (thank god they had RCDs). The electricity along the pipework filled with water had also caused lots of pinhole corrosion along a 2m length of said pipework. This had caused water to leak (rather interestingly) down the live conductor that was exposed and actually through the twin and earth cable and out the light fitting in the hall.

Fantastic workmanship all round really. Still got me a good day's wages today fixing their heating and electrics but quite serious in that if that RCD hadn't been working the female tenant or her two kids could have fried on a radiator!

Bloomin' Nora!

Well spotted that man. Could have saved a life down the line mate, well done.

It did take 4 visits to find it. Never seen water actually coming out from inside a twin and earth cable before. Certainly confuses you when you lift the flooring above the light fitting and there's no sign of water there at all!

Also quite amazing that the system was a pressurised system and it didn't really leak much until I lifted the pipework slightly to assess the cable and got sprayed in the face with nice hot water lol.

nicely sorted, a good reason to earth all copper pies

And not to use plastic pipework to be honest either. Amazing how many houses I go into where you see the stopcock is bonded but some of the heating system is plastic which unless there's earthing crossing over the plastic wouldn't switch off the electricity in this situation.

LOL yes very tasty.

you cant believe some moron would do that,no conscience at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to And we wonder why British tradesmen have to work hard to build a good name. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
We had a Gloworm Energy 7 30r Boiler fitted in Jan 22 to replace a British Gas Boiler (which was a Glowworm Rebranded ) when the heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
S
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts? Combi Logic 30 Boiler - constant pressure loss - no obvious leaking. Few years ago we got an error code...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock