Search the forum,

Discuss Annual combi boiler/gas safety check items or checklist.... in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

Can anybody tell me what the engineer is required to check in the process of doing an annual gas/boiler safety check?
Is there a specific mandatory checklist or process to follow?

The boiler is a Worcester Greenstar HE installed on the kitchen wall.

Thanks,

Mark

Just a boiler to be checked or a landlord gas safety check with other appliances, fire, cooker and gas meter?
Thank you for your reply.

It's for my mothers flat - she is a housing bum tenant - she has central heating and an electric cooker.

So yes it is the annual landlords gas safety check (boiler/gas meter/pipes?)

Lots of visual checks of the boiler, it’s components, flue, and pipework and then testing flue gases, safety devices, gas pressure or gas rate and that’s its generally safe to use. Also some checks at the gas meter.
You should receive a certificate

Lots of visual checks of the boiler, it’s components, flue, and pipework and then testing flue gases, safety devices, gas pressure or gas rate and that’s its generally safe to use. Also some checks at the gas meter.
You should receive a certificate
OK. How long on average does it take to carry out? For example on an issue free installation?

30-60 minutes and about 30 minutes of paperwork.

What are your concerns about the gas safety check that was done?

30-60 minutes and about 30 minutes of paperwork.

What are your concerns about the gas safety check that was done?
Total time = 7 minutes, don't recall the bloke taking the cover off the boiler just fiddling with the screws at the bottom.
It was like something off the crystal maze. He came through the front door almost running, shouting "turn on the hot tap" multiple times at my mum in the kitchen which scared her. He almost tripped over his sportsbag of tools, threw his handheld pda across the kitchen floor then almost launched the magnetic gas analyser off the side of the boiler in his hurry.
He was quite short and had to tiptoe to reach the little screw-wheel on the flue (he definately couldn't see it) over the cover as he hadn't removed it or could be bothered to stand on something - I hope he has screwed it back properly.
When he came out of the dark utility cupboard (he missed the light switch in his hurry) I stated he looks like he's in a massive hurry - he responded "not at all" as he was stuffing some gauge tool into his bag and heading to the door. I said "Any paperwork" as he dashed out - "In the post bye!".

How old is the boiler ?

Total time = 7 minutes, don't recall the bloke taking the cover off the boiler just fiddling with the screws at the bottom.
It was like something off the crystal maze. He came through the front door almost running, shouting "turn on the hot tap" multiple times at my mum in the kitchen which scared her. He almost tripped over his sportsbag of tools, threw his handheld pda across the kitchen floor then almost launched the magnetic gas analyser off the side of the boiler in his hurry.
He was quite short and had to tiptoe to reach the little screw-wheel on the flue (he definately couldn't see it) over the cover as he hadn't removed it or could be bothered to stand on something - I hope he has screwed it back properly.
When he came out of the dark utility cupboard (he missed the light switch in his hurry) I stated he looks like he's in a massive hurry - he responded "not at all" as he was stuffing some gauge tool into his bag and heading to the door. I said "Any paperwork" as he dashed out - "In the post bye!".

unacceptable min 30 mins

Unfortunately they get paid per service so have to do 10 a day

How old is the boiler ?
Installed in 2006 I think - so 15 years.
Last issue was 7-8 months ago where heating was working (radiators warm) but no hot water. Engineer turned up (I think it might have even been the same guy) looked at it and went "You've got no pressure" - oh sorry that I've let it escape. He then did the thing with the connecting pipe & taps. Tried the hot tap, no hot water. I think it was the diverter valve/solenoid and he actually had a spare in the van (rare ocurrance) - mum has previously been held hostage for over a month in winter waiting for parts with no heating or hot water!!!
My mum told him about the boiler becoming noisy starting up (ticking/knocking sounds) but he wasn't interested just replied "call us when it breaks".

Again this time my mum told the man the boiler has become even noisier knocking loudly in the morning for hot water and regularly when the heating comes on - again a hurried "call us when it breaks".

Well if she was an owner she wouldn't be paying a penny for that. I think they only behave like that because it's a Housing bum contract.
She lives in a block of 24 flats and with proper management they could schedule them to be carried out together to reduce/eliminate travel time .

Although it would be the bare minimum of safety check, it may be possible to do it in 7 minutes if as you say he was running, knew the property and the boiler from a previous visits, flue analyser was on as he stepped through the door and paperwork completed later on.

Although it would be the bare minimum of safety check, it may be possible to do it in 7 minutes if as you say he was running, knew the property and the boiler from a previous visits, flue analyser was on as he stepped through the door and paperwork completed later on.
Well, first thing he said as he walked in the front door was "where's the boiler" (I think he also mentioned the gas meter) - as I started to reply "through there in th.." he started shouting "turn on the hot water"......
If only I had videoed the whole thing.....

But was it done correctly/safely?
Previous annual safety checks I have witnessed were calm, seemed to have an order to them with the engineer writing things down, the cover of the boiler was removed as were some further internal parts.
A torch was also used to look around the internals.

I suggest you put in a report of your observations/concern Gas Safe and let them worry about it. Meanwhile, get someone else a bit more careful to redo the check for you so you have peace of mind.
Good idea. I have just looked at their website and they state "In the first instance, you should contact the business concerned and ask them to correct the problem." sounds like a get out card.
I'll have a chat with them.

Ok, as someone who works for a Housing association in the gas team, I can give you the following advice/information:

We have some engineers who complete them in approx 10 mins, and they are told on a regular basis to slow down.

It would be a good idea to collate them all together in an ideal world, however with change of tenancies, it makes it all the more difficult.

I’m actually carrying out some safety checks this week, and depending on appliances installed can take me 30 - 45 mins, we are given 45 to complete these. We are also to check ALL alarms in the property (a big push on this more recently). I carried out one the other day, took me approx 1 hour and 15, the boiler was new, but I swapped 3 alarms as well.

My initial advice to you is to contact the gas manager (if they have one) and express your concerns. I doubt gas safe will be that concerned with them, unless it’s dangerous or a risk. The flue sample cap will be easy enough to check.

Without giving too much away, are you able to name the association?

Reply to Annual combi boiler/gas safety check items or checklist.... in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock