Search the forum,

Discuss Answering the phone with hello, or your business name? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stu3y

bit of a random... border line weird question :biggrin5:

just wondering, when you get a phone call, do you all answer "hello" or "hello *busiess name* " ?

reason i ask is, i have another business (none plumbing) and always answer the phone with the business name..
but ive seen alot of people working in different trades that only ever answer the phone with "hello"

it probably dosent make a great deal of difference, but i know when i ring a business if they answer with just "hello" im wondering to my self, have i rang the right number here...

whats your view on this? does it even matter?

depends if
a, your merchants are chasing you
b. your last job is leaking
c. you arent sure if its the missus or girlfriend

I always reply to an unknown number with the company name. If I see a customer name come up then I answer hello and their name. Which some times really throws them off their stride.

"PR Plumbing Phil speaking...."

New customers judge you from your very first word........answer "Hello" leaves people confused, they don't know whether they're through to the organ grinder or the monkey or Dominos pizza.

phil i have answered my phone with hello and you get oo is this steven or smt plumbing

My name for numbers I dont know and a friendly hello Mr/mrs second name, good to hear from you. How are you? If I know them. If it is my land line then it is my Mrs who answers it and says the formal hello, company name, her name and how may I help.

Most new customers phone landline first and existing tend to phone me direct, that is a pain though as when phone goes it knocks you off your stride and can sometimes add pressure to your day. Getting a new contract next month and giving the old phone to mrs so she can handle all the calls and organise my diary.

Interesting *fact*

For the first second or so, your caller is adjusting their ear to the tone of your voice, so you should start with something polite but meaningless, as they may well not hear it.

For example, if you answer your phone "John Smith, good morning" - expect people to say "Hello, can I speak to John Smith please" - because they didn't get the first bit of your speech.

If you change your response to "Good morning, John Smith speaking" - almost no-one will then ask for John - they calibrated their ear during the "good morning" and so heard the "John Smith" properly.

So put the polite but meaningless words first.

This is not true with family members or regular callers, who know your voice pitch anyway.

I cann confirm Ray answers the phone with "Hello, Williams and Co, Ray Stafford speaking....

Spoils it though when he hangs up just after you've said "Hello! It's Croppie here!"

I cann confirm Ray answers the phone with "Hello, Williams and Co, Ray Stafford speaking....

Spoils it though when he hangs up just after you've said "Hello! It's Croppie here!"

PMSL. Still not shipping to NI though. :)

''what are you selling?''

Be really carful. Was having a horribly busy week, two lads off, office phone to mine as bird in office sick too. Loads and loads of India. Call centers , getting pished as in traffic and lots to do. Gets a phone call in very broken English from bloke asking to speak to mr Andrews , I put on my accent and said sorry sir this is the Ugandan national bank now F off. Calls again hello where is guy? ....... Er hi it's me, who's this it's Dr sudesh we would like to discuss new system with u.... Existing custard with £££££££ and BIG houses. Last ufh job was nearly 25k

Stopped answering the mobile when I am working due to too many people selling advertising, its also hard to give a customer my full attention on the phone when I am very busy. My voicemail says I cant answer the phone because I am driving or in a loft, and customers always call leave a message, I then ring them back when I have my appointment book and havn't got my hands in a toilet cistern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Answering the phone with hello, or your business name? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock