Discuss any advice on buying a transit van in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mickg1

hi I'am searching for a new van an I've narrowed it down to a swb/mwb transit van below 100k 57 plate or newer, I'am going to view two of them tomorrow, is there anything specific to look out for when buying one ?

just the normal no oil in the water no water in the oil no lights on dash that shouldnt be there tyres general condition does everything work lights wipers etc no nasty noises prone to wheel bearings whining smooth gear change clutch level service history if there is one

Make sure lights come on the dash when you turn the ignition. Look for the engine management light. I saw one that 'the bulb must have gone', obviously an issue with it and somebody had removed the bulb.

look for signs of potential rot/rust, it will happen around the arches and door threasholds etc

there was abit of a blurry picture put up an i could just make out a bit of rust around the wheel arch, this one is quite cheap with full service history and not far from the other transit i want to view but its 1k more expensive, if they both feel the same (ride quality) i may swing towards the rust and get it rewelded, there both now bang on 90k are there any known parts i need to change, e.g oil pump had to be changed on my combo around this time

egr valve, if it dont crank first time in really cold conditions. there a pain.
depends what engine it is too!

280 2.2tdci 85 horses i know its the smaller engine but its not like ill be hauling bricks round all day

Doulbe check that, I may be mistaken but I thought the 85ps was a 2.0TDCi and the 110ps was the 2.2. Listen for a "chattering" when starting or shutting off the engine, this points towards the EGR failing.

I had a 57 Transit T280 85ps in a company I used to work for, took it from 30-odd thousand to 70-odd thousand. In that time it killed x 2 starter motors, split an intercooler hose and killed a battery. It also averaged low high 20- low 30s on diesel (that said I did drive it flat out everywhere!), I also did mainly servicing and breakdowns, so the started had higher than normal use, probably got started around 15-20 times a day!

I'd have another in a heartbeat though, I've driven loads of vans and the Transit is by far the most enjoyable to drive.

i test drove a tranny a few years ago, took it out the yard and straight onto a 60mph road. when i got near the lights 1/2 mile down i put me foot on the breaks and the van hardly slowed :(, i was lucky there was not much traffic as it took ages for use to slow and stop. on the way carefully to the sale yard my mate looked in the glove box and found a garage report which had in big bold writing "breaks faulty, dangerous to drive". As you can imagine i was a bit upset and it put me off trannys.

Next day i brought a T5, been happy ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to any advice on buying a transit van in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi guys, Looking to replace an old shower diverter. Pictures attached. I'm from Australia if that makes any difference. Originally when i got...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks I'm wondering anyone here, has any indepth knowledge on the Worcester Heatslave Combi Boiler. This boiler is quite old (2006) but it has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, can someone get to the bottom of this before I call a plumber, en suite shower started leaking from the mixer bar so took the shower off...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock