Discuss Anyone have experience with Training providers. Need help in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone, so I've decided to embark on my journey to becoming a qualified plumber. However, i am unsure if these training courses and providers are legit. My brother had an experience a few years ago that turned to be a scam. The company name is 24/7 Training UK. Weekly payments of 45 quid and I will train online and at the training centres to become nvq level 1 qualified then move onto level 2. Anyone had similar experiences with these type of companies? Thank you

1. The problem with these training courses is that it is very difficult for them to give you the practical experience you need to achieve the NVQ's. Getting the NVQs requires assessment in a real world environment, which you can only get working with a qualified plumber. Getting this type of mentoring is extremely difficult, as there is nothing in it for the qualified person.
2. Have a look at this article. Are fast-track plumbing courses just money down the drain? - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/may/15/fast-track-plumbing-courses
3. The best way to get into the trade is with an apprenticeship and night school / day release. Not easy past a certain age.
4. Have a word with your local training / education / adult learning centre and see what they can offer.
5. It can be done via the "fast track" route, although its rarely fast, but you will need a huge amount of luck to get someone to take you on.

1. The problem with these training courses is that it is very difficult for them to give you the practical experience you need to achieve the NVQ's. Getting the NVQs requires assessment in a real world environment, which you can only get working with a qualified plumber. Getting this type of mentoring is extremely difficult, as there is nothing in it for the qualified person.
2. Have a look at this article. Are fast-track plumbing courses just money down the drain? - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/may/15/fast-track-plumbing-courses
3. The best way to get into the trade is with an apprenticeship and night school / day release. Not easy past a certain age.
4. Have a word with your local training / education / adult learning centre and see what they can offer.
5. It can be done via the "fast track" route, although its rarely fast, but you will need a huge amount of luck to get someone to take you on.
Thank you very much for your reply. The Training provider provides practical training at the test centres. They also said in regards to the qualifications they have work at ongoing construction sites available for us to go and build up a "portfolio" to ensure we receive our accreditation and NVQ status. They're aware that this a requirement. Would it be worth it in this case?. I can't really afford to do an apprenticeship you see. This seems like a better route. But I also want to be able to receive the qualifications. The course advisor claimed that once you're qualified you won't have a problem getting hired.

Would love your input on this, thank you very much

Thank you very much for your reply. The Training provider provides practical training at the test centres. They also said in regards to the qualifications they have work at ongoing construction sites available for us to go and build up a "portfolio" to ensure we receive our accreditation and NVQ status. They're aware that this a requirement. Would it be worth it in this case?. I can't really afford to do an apprenticeship you see. This seems like a better route. But I also want to be able to receive the qualifications. The course advisor claimed that once you're qualified you won't have a problem getting hired.

Would love your input on this, thank you very much
Also to clarify. The Training isn't fasttrack as in 6 weeks. They claim it will take 12-18 months to become level 2 qualified and then another 12 months for level 3 if I wish to

I managed to get my NVQ2, without ever being officially an apprentice, via an FE college.

That said, I have an academic background that meant learning (and self-learning) is something I was already good at, a lot of DIY experience (and I mean a lot - all the fiddly stuff, old and weird installations, and a full-time volunteer experience at the Centre for Alternative Technology) some site experience, and two friends who were qualified plumbers and able to act as work-based recorders. I was also prepared to go home, buy copper tube, and pull offsets in my lounge until I was good at it.

I haven't tried to get an employed position, but I'd think the questions at this stage would relate to my experience more than my level of qualification. So I'm doubtful you could, necessarily, get a job straight out of college, especially with a fast-track course. There's a lot of people subscibed to the school of thought that someone cannot possibly learn in [whatever] what they learnt in 5 years and that could be an obstacle if your aim is to try to get a job using the qualification alone.

Been in touch with the same company I believe even though the names of all these training company seem to be spins of one another.

Oz-plumber to answer your question it's £7800 to take you to lvl 3 with a C&G lvl 3 as well.

Fed up in my job completely and really don't want to lose money. I know it won't be the easiest getting employment after but just hoping the certificate and qualifications are really. Are they what a technically professional plumber would have in ways of qualifications?

Like Victoria I would also be keen to know if you started this or who you spoke to in your interviews
Initials would be fine. E.g WH

"Fed up in my job completely"
- Don't allow this to make the grass look greener.

Many trainees think they can get experience by offering their time for free. It's not like that, the trainee slows the engineer down and is a considerable drain.

Have you considered paying to shadow someone so you have some idea of what the trade really is - might cost a few hundred. Might save many thousands.

Reply to Anyone have experience with Training providers. Need help in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to start working on the gas side of plumbing and heating. I am a sole trader working with plumbing and heating and have the NVQ level 2.I...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Please can anyone help or point me in the right direcrion. I have recently completed a 18 month bpec management learning programme...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’m looking for a course that will cover the necessary certificates for me to obtain the gas safe status. I’ve come across a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Hope you are all well. My name is Henry and I am Dorset based, and looking to get into the Plumbing trade. I will have completed my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock