Discuss anyone know anyone that knows how to wire a heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can anyone recomend anyone in the Poole/Bournemouth area that knows there stuf when it comes to wiring?

I can do most of it myself and can basic fault find on heating systems but I have had a couple of jobs lateley that I have had to turn down as I didn't want to get involed.

One of them, I went to do a service, cust said htg not working. Found it had never been wired up properley to start with or someone had had a go and messed it up. There wasn't even any power to the pump so hw was just working off gravity. Checked wiring but it was't as simple as connecting pl into orange on 3port, the more I went into it the more I found wrong.

So I am not overley confident at wiring the system from scratch again and didn't want to mess it up so had to turn the job away, got money for serice on boiler but have probably lost the customer now.

In answer to the main question I don't know.

As far as learning wiring is concerned there are a few threads on here and various links. Try this thread for a start:
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/32918-wiring-system-question.html#post273713

In my experience, most of the time diagnosing a wiring problem is spent trying to establish what the existing wires do. It's easy to follow a wiring plan (Y-plan or S-plan) but in the real world not many people are going to strip out all the wires to try and start again.

For example, when adding a room stat to the system, most will look for 2-3 specific wires then connect up the room stat and test it. If it works, it won't matter how accurate the wiring is to the original Honeywell plan as you can charge the customer and move on to the next job. In other words, what is the point in spending 4-5 hours re-wiring when you can spend an hour working out what each wire does and another 1/2 hour wiring in your stat and testing it?

Another possibility for you could be to try and find a local electrician as he might call you and ask you to fit immersion heaters and electric showers.

Im ok on fault finding on existing, i understand how all the controlls work etc, the job I was on about was a mess and would have taken me ages and ages to figure out, if I could. Thanks for replying. Thats a good idea about ringing electricians although most I know wouldn't have a clue how to wire a heating system.
It would just be good to know I had someone I can rely on if the time comes that is local to my area.

in the summer I will do them for you , will get job done and few drinks on the beach :)

I use W.B electrical based in Bournemouth. Great bloke by the name of Warren. He's not the cheapest but he does a great job, very neat, sorts paperwork etc. google him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to anyone know anyone that knows how to wire a heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock