Discuss Are Thermostatic radiator valves compulsory? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ian harvey

My mother needs a new boiler; her old one is over 40 years old. She has been told by a plumber that it is compulsory ie building regulations that she MUST have thermostatic valves fitted to all her radiators. Is this true?

She has a few rooms in the house that are never used and the radiators are turned off, does she have to have valves fitted to these radiators as well?

If this is the case I can fit the valves, but as the radiators are imperial measurements, will this be an issue?

Thanks for your help.

Ian

It is not compulsory. It is viewed as best practice and advisory but if the customer doesn't want them there is no requirement in law to fit them unlike condensing boilers.

Mike

Having a replacement boiler will mean that the only radiators that require trv,s are the bedroom radiators

I have no personal experience of this but have heard reports from a couple of other plumbers that CORGI have, on inspection, claimed that regs have been updated and all rads now require TRVs on boiler swap (with of course the obvious exception).

But as Corgi make up rules as they go along we can safely ignore that.

Mike

Hopefully this will help (and I think the plumber is correct, apart from where the room thermostat is, there shouldn't be a TRV)

Part L Building Regulations

A. When a boiler is replaced the system must comply with Part L. In practical terms meeting the minimum requirements given in the Domestic Heating Compliance Guide* will achieve this. It covers the water circulation and control requirements of space heating and hot water systems. This is usually interpreted as:
- Upgrade to fully pumped from gravity circulation if required
- Install time controls
- Install interlock (room thermostat AND cylinder thermostat + motorised valve(s) for a regular boiler system and room thermostat for a combination boiler system)
- Install bypass where necessary
Whilst it is preferable to use a two-pipe system, there are no specific requirements in the Building Regulations that a one-pipe system should be upgraded when replacing a boiler. A condensing boiler can usually be connected to a one-pipe system, unless the boiler manufacturers’ instructions say otherwise. A two-pipe system would normally be necessary if it were also intended to install thermostatic radiator valves. This is preferable but, it is not deemed to be ‘reasonable provision’ to force a customer to install thermostatic radiator valves on an existing system. It would be considered good practice for the installer to quote for the work requested from the customer and then split the quote to cover the aspects of the installation they recommend needing to be undertaken to fully comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations.

Further info:

Planning Portal - Part L (Conservation of fuel and power)

Guys, you have all been a great help with your advise.
Thanks
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are Thermostatic radiator valves compulsory? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock