Discuss Auto bypass always open - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hoping that someone might be able to help me.

I have a sealed heating system comprising 15 radiators and hot water cylinder. In the last 18 months all radiators were replaced and plumbed using 10mm microbore pipe back to manifolds on 22mm flow and return pipes. The system is S plan with two heating zones and hot water.

The problem I am having is that the auto bypass lets hot water through in any combination. When both upstairs and downstairs heating is on the boiler stays on and good heat is achieved, although bypassing. When upstairs is on in isolation the bypass is open and the boiler starts short cycling and also does the same with hot water only.

Initially I was concerned that the microbore pipe was causing too much resistance of flow which was resulting in the auto bypass opening. However, the bypass also opens for hot water only which is not in small bore pipe so makes me think it is not this.

I have had the auto bypass replaced, so it is not a faulty valve.

The pump was re-used from the old system and is a 15/50, I wonder if this is not man enough to overcome the resistance of the new small diameter pipes? But this would not explain the bypass being open for hot water only?

My other line of thinking is that the heat exchanger may be clogged up causing a restriction, we are in a hard water area and had a period where the boiler was kettling last year.

Overall the heating and hot water work, but not as well or efficiently as I believe they could. Really I'd like to find a heating engineer in Norfolk who really knows their stuff, a couple of people local to me have been round and I've been advised to change the boiler which I just don't believe.

Hoping that someone might be able to help me.

I have a sealed heating system comprising 15 radiators and hot water cylinder. In the last 18 months all radiators were replaced and plumbed using 10mm microbore pipe back to manifolds on 22mm flow and return pipes. The system is S plan with two heating zones and hot water.

The problem I am having is that the auto bypass lets hot water through in any combination. When both upstairs and downstairs heating is on the boiler stays on and good heat is achieved, although bypassing. When upstairs is on in isolation the bypass is open and the boiler starts short cycling and also does the same with hot water only.

Initially I was concerned that the microbore pipe was causing too much resistance of flow which was resulting in the auto bypass opening. However, the bypass also opens for hot water only which is not in small bore pipe so makes me think it is not this.

I have had the auto bypass replaced, so it is not a faulty valve.

The pump was re-used from the old system and is a 15/50, I wonder if this is not man enough to overcome the resistance of the new small diameter pipes? But this would not explain the bypass being open for hot water only?

My other line of thinking is that the heat exchanger may be clogged up causing a restriction, we are in a hard water area and had a period where the boiler was kettling last year.

Overall the heating and hot water work, but not as well or efficiently as I believe they could. Really I'd like to find a heating engineer in Norfolk who really knows their stuff, a couple of people local to me have been round and I've been advised to change the boiler which I just don't believe.
Can you produce a drawing please then we can all have a go,at this just attach it
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hi Chris, can you set this bypass valve or do they come pre set? I have had a look online and some people have had to adjust theirs. I could understand if it opened for the mass amount of micro bore but the hot water is puzzling.

I am not a plumber just a student at the minute so I don’t want to offer any advice but I am interested in your problem. Best of luck.
Ben

Pump is wrong type.
But you also need your bypass valve adjusted to only open when system is operating with one radiator on, or when pump overrun is on.
Your heating installer should have done all that

If my memory serves me correctly, the bypass should be set up for the index circuit ( furthest radiator or the circuit with most resistance) this would have to be calculated to find the flow rate to set the bypass.

Ok thanks, I contacted Grundfos and they recommended even going to a 8m pump.

One thing I don't understand is the pumps marked 15 50/60 that are ok for 5m or 6m systems. Surely it can't be both?

A hot water cylinder and then 15 radiators on 2 zones supplied from
10mm coming from 22mm and Grundfos recommend 8m pump?
What is the total kw needed?

A 6m pump will do approx 35 kw.
Normally no bother on 10mm pipes if they are piped correctly and runs are not long.

The fact that you have 22mm pipes suggests your heat requirements are fairly modest.

I would guess you only need a 6m pump and also make sure the bypass is not bypassing when most of the system is supposed to be open flow.

Your installer has clearly not fitted correct pump and should have warned you

A hot water cylinder and then 15 radiators on 2 zones supplied from
10mm coming from 22mm and Grundfos recommend 8m pump?
What is the total kw needed?

A 6m pump will do approx 35 kw.
Normally no bother on 10mm pipes if they are piped correctly and runs are not long.

The fact that you have 22mm pipes suggests your heat requirements are fairly modest.

I would guess you only need a 6m pump and also make sure the bypass is not bypassing when most of the system is supposed to be open flow.

Your installer has clearly not fitted correct pump and should have warned you

I'll get back to you on the KW but it is less than 35.

All the manifolds are located in the upstairs hallway so a lot of the 10mm runs for downstairs go across a room and then down and back again. The longest run is probably 8 or 9 m each way. But most are around 5m downstairs. Interestingly the downstairs radiators heat up better than upstairs.

Grundfos said the pump I mentioned is their recommendation for an average 4 bed!

So could an under sized pump cause the bypass to open?

I have a heating engineer coming next week but would be good to point him in the right direction.

Here you go, this is all located about 2m from the boiler.

IMG_20181101_080844.jpg

Reply to Auto bypass always open - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock