Discuss Automatic air vent leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dode Dahroug

Hi all

I've got a close loop hot water system and am losing pressure: about 2 bar every week or two. This made me look for an issue and the automatic vent valve appears to be leaking: there is limescale on the brass, there was evidence of water damage to the ceiling below it, and a towel I put around the pipework below it is soaking. It seems pretty clear that the valve itself is leaking and needs changing.

The valve is connected branched from the primary flow line, but there is no isolating valve between the hot water cylinder and the valve itself. This is the dumb question, but will closing off the flow at any point before the cylinder prevent water venting when I remove the valve? If not then how do I change it? Would something like a self-tapping isolation valve before the automatic air vent be my best bet?

My second question, which might also be dumb, is this: does the valve itself need to be above the top of the cylinder to prevent water leakage?

Thanks for any help.

On a closed, ie. unvented system, reduce pressure to zero. Then provided only one point in the system is open to air, discharge of water is limited because air cannot enter. Much like having to put two holes in can of milk.
The valve should seal irrespective of position but is usual to position at high point in the system because this is where air locks occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Automatic air vent leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock