Search the forum,

Discuss Average house replumb costs - Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

villarenter30

a bit thick on this subject so any help gratefully recieved - I am looking to buy a house in South Wales area - just outside Newport so not valleys really - I am looking to buy all materials myself as have been advised to - but can someone help with average labour only costs for fitting two bathrooms - downstairs with shower with enclosure basin and toilet - upstairs bath with fitting of shower combi driven over it and toilet and basin - no tiling as have a tiler - the house needs to be totally repiped - and 9 new radiators put in and of course kitchen sink and the combi boiler which has a roof flue ???? there is a back boiler so this will need to come out and in fact all other pipework to come out for the new pipes - does this make sense - my quotes vary wildly - HELP:veryangry2: Thanks - Before I take the plunge on it completely need to know if I need to negotiate more on sale price - thanks so much L

Who has advised you to buy materials yourself?
I would certainly NOT be advising you to buy the materials yourself.
Have you had quotes for supply and fit and labour only?

You need to get a 3 quotes in, and go from there.

as alex has said get three quotes, and dont buy materials your self leave that to the plumber if you want quality materials less money spent on materials and a guarantee on them

Agree about not supplying your own materials. It will look like a saving in the short term, but may well prove to be false economy, for the following reasons:

You are not an expert in what you are buying, and so are likely to make an expensive mistake.
Even if you don't make a mistake, you will forget some things
You don't have access to the best pricing
If there are any problems or delays with anything you buy (and with a complete house-lot, there is certain to be something), sorting that out will be down to you, while your plumber sits there possibly doing nothing but totting up his hourly rate.
When something goes wrong with something in warranty, don't expect the plumber to help - that's down to you, including any labour charges relating to diagnosis, re-fitting or replacing.
Finally - all decent plumbers know about these problems, and most will price the hassle factor into their "labour-only" charge

By all means get some labour only quotes, and get a rough price on materials to keep your contractor honest, but I would recommend getting some supply and fit quotes as well.

If the supply and fit price is within 10 or even 15% of the labour-only + cost-of-materials, then go for the supply & fit, as it will be cheaper in the long run.

Look at it another way. If you take your car into be fixed, do you expect to provide the parts yourself?

From the information supplied....................... i would estimate the labour charge to be between 5-8 grand!

Thank you for all your replies - a few of my friends who have down up properties have said get the materials yourself but as I said I am a novice - quotes I have had vary between 6.5k supply and fit including boiler and showers and suites to 7250 for the same and then one of 3.5k labour - do you think the labour price is right or thereabouts - many thanks

just remember labour only = no warranty or come backs on the plumber after all it will be your materials that have failed not his workmanship! save now and pay later!!

I do appreciate that and I just went on what my friends said but am interested to know if you feel those prices are thereabouts many thanks

Please visit the link

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

sorry can you elaborate on are and are not if its not too much trouble thanks so much

sorry can you elaborate on are and are not if its not too much trouble thanks so much

It's like me saying "I have a piece of string in my pocket, how long is it?". It's too dificult to say without actually seeing it. If you are concerned then you need a couple more estimates or as SafeGasInstall has said above, post a request on the site for somebody on here to have a look. Lot of good guys on here.

asking for price of a full replumb online isnt very sensible, go and gets some proper quotes and you may get a proper result in the end

Hi Villarenter.

The problem is that you are asking a "how long is a piece of string" question. Without seeing the house, and settling a whole load of variables that can't be satisfactorily explored over the internet, it isn't possible to say.

edit - beaten to it by Simon and Lame Plumber!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I was only asking for some advice on the prices that I had recieved - just wanting to know if you guys thought they were fair figures - I wasn't asking for a price online just asking for you to comment on the prices I had recieved _i have had three which I quoted earlier in the thread - just thought someone could give a yes they are good prices or they are a little high - thats all - thanks anyway

But a price for what? We need to understand what a and b is before we can tell you that they amount to x.

Capisce?

Impossible to give anything like an accurate price without seeing the job. If concerned, get more people to come out and quote the job. It is the only way to do it.

ok I'm sorry it is a semi detatched ex council property - has three beds - two living rooms and two bathrooms and has had a previous new kitchen extension put on by the previous owners who cannot afford to finish (or so I have deduced) all pipework needs to be removed/stripped out and renewed - there is an exisiting back boiler which needs to be removed and a new combi boiler installed - and nine new radiators - combi boiler needs to be flued/vented through roof - bathrooms downstairs has shower with enclosure, basin and toilet - bathroom upstairs has shower over bath which works from the boiler, basin and toilet - and the kitchen sink - I have had quotes of 6.5k to 7250 for supply and fit and 3.5k labour only (thats the stripping out, the radiators installed the combi installed the two bathrooms installed and the kitchen sink)

And remember cheapest is not always best, and thats coming from me who does jobs cheap haha

Thank you all so - realistically just out of interest the labour figure is there or therebouts if I add on two bathroom suites and a boiler

Have they all quoted for similar materials - I.e same spec boiler?

The thing is that a job (say re-piping) is not a simple as that which is why it has to be seen to be quoted on . . . .

I have fitted a toilet in a couple of hours easy in the right environment and taken well over a day with a bog cemented to the floor and with a cast iron connection!

- it really is impossible to say as the job could be between 100%-500% of a base price due to the ease of the installation and possible problems . . .

With a big job I would do 2 things:

- Get a qualified third party in to evaluate the plumbing and pay them to do so. I would follow suit with a sparky and possibly plasterer as well if I had bought a house. Get them to inspect only!

- Use a local small company to do the work to guarantee that you are not getting a cowboy to do it. Ask for references, ask around - get reccomendations from friends.

- Do not, I repeat, do not use any online sites to find a plumber rely on word of mouth .

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Average house replumb costs - Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock