Discuss Ball valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago I arrived home to find water gushing out of the over flow pipe from a tank in the loft. I rushed up into the roof to see the water level in the central heating tank level with the top of the tank and cold water at full boar.
after turning off the cold feed I discovered that the plastic ball had snapped of the arm . The arm had dropped down allowing full flow into the tank.
how could this have happened , has any body come across this before

plastic goes brittle with temp and bet the pin had snapped

Thanks for the comments . I see what you say about brittle plastic . The valve to my knowledge is ten years old. What do you think of this theory. The over flow pipe is quite close to the top of the tank. If the washer was leaking do you think that the slow rise in the water level Could exert enough pressure to snap the ball before the water reached the over flow

The float may have been older than the valve, no real dramas .

If you have hot water getting into the tank by pumping over at times, then that also would damage plastic. But everything is a bit delicate nowadays and usually made cheap. The brass pins can rot, but never have seen one snap yet

Thanks for all you comments , but I will be keeping a close eye on it from now on .i think with tanks in the loft it's a case of out of site out of mind. Townfanjon. No real dramas cheeky. Had I arrived home a couple of hours later I would have had a major flood. The flow of water into the tank was greater than the overflow could cope with thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ball valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock