Search the forum,

Discuss Ball valves for traditional toilet cisterns. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BN9Pete

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I do lots of maintenance work which includes changing ball valves in toilet cisterns, most push button cisterns are fine as I use the Fluidmaster with a brass shank.
The Hydroflow ( Torbeck type ) fits some cisterns with a normal syphon and handle but there no longer seems to be much choice if using a normal bottom entry plastic ball valve ( float operated valve )

Most plumbing merchants seem to stock the very cheap Opella type, see image.

What do you use?

image.jpg

That valve is a bit nasty - really the weak extendable arm I hate. But it does the job on low pressure well enough. Not great on mains pressure as too noisy. My merchants stock same valve. Guess they are cheap for them to buy.
I use brass tailed valves mostly. Fluidmaster Pro on mains supplied. Wirquin on some. The Wirquin seems a good valve & very adjustable & not affected by float touching cistern side the instructions state.

Just be aware that Screwfix do a brass tailed Fluidmaster valve that is not exactly same as the red topped Pro version. I fitted one from Screwfix & discovered it didn't come with insert for restricted flow and was noisier than Pro version.

Never bought anything from Screwfix.

I also don't buy much from them, but they have opened a few places here and very handy just to walk into and get what you need over the counter 7 days a week & they open late most days.
If you get a trade account you get good discount which makes some of the stuff very reasonable. They are part of B&Q group.

I also don't buy much from them, but they have opened a few places here and very handy just to walk into and get what you need over the counter 7 days a week & they open late most days.
If you get a trade account you get good discount which makes some of the stuff very reasonable. They are part of B&Q group.

I find for odd bits they are very hard to beat price wise with the Plumbfix account. BES online are cheaper but only if you buy in bulk.

In answer to the OP I have used many of them Opella valves over the years and never had any trouble with them on low pressure systems. Like everyone else has said, you can't go wrong with a Fluidmaster.

Fluidmaster pro, hydroflow or brass shank viva if neither of those can fit in. Too much chance of chewing a plastic thread so never use em

Fluidmaster pro, hydroflow or brass shank viva if neither of those can fit in. Too much chance of chewing a plastic thread so never use em

Them Viva's aren't bad are they mate? I see they do a 4 in 1 valve that can be used as side entry or bottom entry valve

Just be aware that Screwfix do a brass tailed Fluidmaster valve that is not exactly same as the red topped Pro version. I fitted one from Screwfix & discovered it didn't come with insert for restricted flow and was noisier than Pro version.

Interesting, do you mean the grey one that comes in a plastic bag?
The other one with the restricted flow insert has a red top and comes in a cardboard box.

I found the cheaper grey version doesn't work on low pressure.

if i was on maintenance i would be changing washers rather than valves

When I say maintenance I mean i do lots of small jobs in private occupied homes, many of my customers are elderly and they have syphon/ handle type cisterns.
This area also has very hard water and some of the existing ball valves are too far gone to just change the washer.

Makes sense what you are saying though, if the ball valve is in good condition it's not worth changing it, and just putting in a washer.

Interesting, do you mean the grey one that comes in a plastic bag?
The other one with the restricted flow insert has a red top and comes in a cardboard box.

I found the cheaper grey version doesn't work on low pressure.

Yes, that's the one. As you say, it comes in a plastic bag. I think it is basically the normal older type valve with a brass tail & therefore different than the red topped Pro model.
You can get red coloured low pressure washer for fluidmaster valves if on low pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ball valves for traditional toilet cisterns. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, as the title, the cistern keeps filling. The fill valve is passing, think it’s a viva skylo bottom entry with a plastic shank but there’s not markings or identification on it. Just wondering if anyone knows what type it is? I’d rather just replace the diaphragm inside if it’s one that’s...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled. I didn't do or change...
Replies
Views
Suddenly my downstairs toilet stopped filling this week, I suspected a blockage in the filter or cistern itself, however after removal of everything it appears that there is no water coming in, its mains fed and no sign of leak anywhere , we have checked the isolation valve and its not faulty...
Replies
Views
I have fitted this brass float valve to my toilet cistern. Obviously the inlet is the same level as the overflow pipe so it needs to be water tight. The inlet pipe is not flexible and enters the cistern at a slight angle to the side of the cistern, the washer I used is not squishy. The result...
Replies
Views
i have 3 sottini toilets with a compact cistern. It has an ideal standard dual flush mechanism. 2" entry The ideal standard is poor quality in my opinion, I have replaced the washer and complete unit several times but it always leaks within a short time (between 0-18 months), I would like to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock