Search the forum,
  • Thread starter secret squirrel
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 1K
  • text

Discuss Ban all text messages.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

First of all I'm not against technology, its supposed to make life easier and a bit more bearable but text messages are the plague of modern life.

Why do people feel that it is acceptable to text in the cinema or theatre, surely, no one is that important that they can't turn off there phone for 2 hours. I think people who use there phones like this are rude and ignorant, unfortunately, its the way things have gone.

Is it me or is it mainly women/young girls that feel the need to be in touch with each other constantly as in my experience its girls in the cinema.

Why do people have conversations for ages over text and a 2 minute conversation will suffice:

first text: you busy this evening.
no
want to meet
yes
where
pub
what pub
victory
what time
make it later
how about 8.30
yes
see you there
yes
bye
bye

Ridiculous :56:make a call.......
Don't get me wrong if you don't need a reply send a text:

'get milk on way home' OR 'pick me up station 6.30'

I DESPISE TEXTS, mobiles a close second..... love High defintion tv and 3D...........

Please feel free to comment.....

i hear where your rant is coming from, i fell out with a bloke and his missus at cinema last month. sat next to me. af first i thought " ah just a quick text reply to someone,, no prob"

then 30seconds later he phone is glowing and shes off again. txt txt txt

after 10 mins of this i asked he to quit it . so annoying

i do use txt quite a bit so i cant slag it off too much but in a right time and place.

My brother says the same as you, text is for if you don't want a reply or to get someone to call you back, if they are at work, i.e. or to ask somebody if they fancy going out, without offending them by hassling them.

However the reason us "youngsters" text is to keep in contact, sometimes you don't feel like talking to somebody and texting is a way of talking without asking how they are, what they have been up to, hows the kids, i.e.

The cinema is a bit ridiculous, but these days they are more likely to be on facebook, telling the world they are at the cinema rather then actually watching the film.

And finnaly on this point, I have noticed a large difference between my older friends/ family and younger friends and family, the older generation pretend that everything is ok, even if they are half way through an argument with mrs, the business is going down the pan and the bank have just called to say that there is no way that they can lend any more money.

however the younger ones have to post on facebook their whole life, "went to the toilet just now, it doesn't look healthy", "I'm at tesco doing my weekly shop" and " I am running late" well get off facebook and you won't be running so late.

I wonder if we are coming out of the whole trying to impress your friends and family and people just don't care what they say or do anymore and is this due to technology?

And to further my point about texts....

Customers will call you when it suits them but if they want to cancel the job or change the time then they will text you, WHY? the answer is simple they lack the moral fibre to have the discussion directly.

Why do young people if they can't make it to work think they can get away with it by text? have the decency to pick up the phone and tell your employer/college/lift to work directly.

I was working with a young lad about 20, I had to pick him up, 7.00 his mum was texting saying he didn't feel well. I turned up anyway, his mum ran out and said 'I text you that he was unwell' my answer 'good for you, I employ your son not you, get him out here or tell him not to bother at all' Unsurprisingly, I left alone.

However that evening text overload....... They're still waiting for a reply. He didn't even call about the money he was owed!

I'd be for banning texts and return back to the good old days ...

Ban:

Mobiles
Computers
Games machines
Televisions
(anything with a screen on it)
Porsche Cayennes
Call centres
Small print in insurance documents
Contracts of more than 2 pages
Chihuahua dogs
Advertising
Golf

Oh golly, this list might not stop ...

I remember back in 97/98 when texting was in its infancy. Only Vodafone users could text to each other and this is back when only a select few even had mobiles.

How far we've come! Now every sucker is doing it!

The enviromental damage from mobile phones is huge, from all the chargers left plugged in 24/7.

I'd be for banning texts and return back to the good old days ...

Ban:

Mobiles
Computers
Games machines
Televisions
(anything with a screen on it)
Porsche Cayennes
Call centres
Small print in insurance documents
Contracts of more than 2 pages
Chihuahua dogs
Advertising
Golf

Oh golly, this list might not stop ...

Advertising?

And to further my point about texts....

Customers will call you when it suits them but if they want to cancel the job or change the time then they will text you, WHY? the answer is simple they lack the moral fibre to have the discussion directly.

Why do young people if they can't make it to work think they can get away with it by text? have the decency to pick up the phone and tell your employer/college/lift to work directly.

I was working with a young lad about 20, I had to pick him up, 7.00 his mum was texting saying he didn't feel well. I turned up anyway, his mum ran out and said 'I text you that he was unwell' my answer 'good for you, I employ your son not you, get him out here or tell him not to bother at all' Unsurprisingly, I left alone.

However that evening text overload....... They're still waiting for a reply. He didn't even call about the money he was owed!

little harsh, but fair, he should of got the courage to call you after getting no replies

Advertising?

Err - good point!!

I was thinking along the lines of BBC trailers, commercial breaks on good telly programmes and sports events, junk mail, etc.

Forgot about my occasional adverts in the local newsletters, etc.

for me I would ban, junk email, nobody ever reads it and cold calling, so annoying.
don't mind tv adverts, dont really pay attention to adverts anyway and junk mail dont bother me.

for me I would ban, junk email, nobody ever reads it and cold calling, so annoying.
don't mind tv adverts, dont really pay attention to adverts anyway and junk mail dont bother me.
we hardly see any adverts on tv now everything is recorded and fast forwards through the ad breaks

the one good use for texts is when customers call i say sorry im up a ladder right now could you text me the address you want me to call at , that way i cant loose the bit of paper/plasterboard ive written it on

the one good use for texts is when customers call i say sorry im up a ladder right now could you text me the address you want me to call at , that way i cant loose the bit of paper/plasterboard ive written it on

Done this a couple times as been in town or driving and cant find a pen, they never text and when you call back, they give all the excuses, say they will text straight away and never receive anything back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ban all text messages.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Evening all Ok here goes. I replaced a leaking pump under a bath a couple of months ago. The original job was a complete bodge, directly under...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock