Search the forum,

Discuss Banging walls in the middle of the night in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, i’ve just recently moved into a house and in the middle of the night my cold water pipe constantly taps on the wall for a while is always at random times, will i have too pull my wall down to look for the pipe? Help i cant sleep cos of it lol

Attachments

• IMG_3083.MOV
    43.4 MB
You might have to but there are a few things to try before you do. It's called "water hammer" and there are devices (water hammer arrestor)s you can fit to your system to prevent or reduce it.

Pressure reducing valve on the pipe as it enters your house might also do the job if it's pressure fluctuations due to neighbours' water use. What happens if you turn off your mains stopcock overnight? I assume no one in your house is running water?

Jolly weird noise though. Sounds like a float valve gone wrong or some kind of pump more than water hammer. Or a miniature helicopter got trapped during the construction of the house?

Pressure reducing valve on the pipe as it enters your house might also do the job if it's pressure fluctuations due to neighbours' water use. What happens if you turn off your mains stopcock overnight? I assume no one in your house is running water?

Jolly weird noise though. Sounds like a float valve gone wrong or some kind of pump more than water hammer. Or a miniature helicopter got trapped during the construction of the house?
If i turn it off it stops the banging, when its almost fully closed the banging happens on the main valve coming in to the house, i asked my water supplier but they didnt do much. And its an absolute racket mate, close to smashing my wall down haha

I wonder are you living your n relatively old house. Maybe you still have the old lead pipes installed. And maybe you still have the old accompanying mains welded valve to switch off/on the water.

Maybe you hear similar noises when you use your own taps around the house. Actually when you turn the tap on or off.

I’ve heard of cases where that old mains valve required replacing in order to quell such a banging noise. In those cases, it’s how the valve ages and wears. And then how the valve moves or vibrates as the mains water pressure rises and drops.

Those rises and falls in pressure typically occur either when the local waterworks turns the pressure up and down to cater for peak and off peak times of the day, e.g. breakfast time, dinner time, or as the water is being used in the house.

I wonder are you living your n relatively old house. Maybe you still have the old lead pipes installed. And maybe you still have the old accompanying mains welded valve to switch off/on the water.

Maybe you hear similar noises when you use your own taps around the house. Actually when you turn the tap on or off.

I’ve heard of cases where that old mains valve required replacing in order to quell such a banging noise. In those cases, it’s how the valve ages and wears. And then how the valve moves or vibrates as the mains water pressure rises and drops.

Those rises and falls in pressure typically occur either when the local waterworks turns the pressure up and down to cater for peak and off peak times of the day, e.g. breakfast time, dinner time, or as the water is being used in the house.
I will also add, if your problem is as I have spoken of, then the noise can occur on both rise and fall of pressure, like a grandfather clock pendulum swinging both too and fro, due to age related wear and tear within the valve.

Reply to Banging walls in the middle of the night in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock