Discuss Basic copper pipework questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwardk

Hi there - all a bit new to plumbing but I have a few questions regarding radiators and the hope of warmth.

Currently renovating an old cottage and have started to put in all the plumbing.

I've gone for copper and yorkshire fittings after advice from a mate.

So the questions :

1 - What is the best way to do rad tails ? Straight seems easiest but a friend suggested putting in an s-bend (using a pipe bender) to kick back the tails closer to the skirting boards.
I have Ancona (The Radiator Co) 3 column rads mostly and traditional black and brass valves.

2 - Is there a convention for flow and return with the central heating circuit ?
I'm currently putting in 15mm copper and although the instructions are clear on the radiator connections (flow has to go at the end with the diverter) I'm not sure if flow pipework should be on the right or left. Or is this unimportant !

3 - What size holes do you drill for the tails through the floor boards ?
I figured on 18mm holes for a bit of play with the 15mm pipework. Will be laying laminate or wood flooring on top - not carpet. Currently I have cut out a trap upstairs for the rad at the end of the circuit so that I can lay the main pipework but am getting a bit lost where it has to branch out and go to either end of the rad. I guess this is a question of either bending or adding elbows.

4 - Is it generally better to bend the pipe in the pipebender or use an elbow ?
I was thinking bending but am keen to keep everything square as an early effort downstairs looks like spaghetti junction...

Thanks
Ed

personally i like to see column rads fitted with top and bottom opposite ends with all pipes vertical if they are tall youll need a studded clip in the middle of the vertical
id go for minimum of 20 mm holes if its being laminated then go for 25 mm as itll be easier to fit and the laminate will cover although id leave the laminate well clear and use pipe covers as a tight fit on the laminate makes one hell of a noise when the rads come on folw and return is irellevent either end will do especially if they are manual valves trvs have to be revesable

Yes, fit them top and bottom opposite ends your flow needs to come in the top. TRVs should be on the flow at the top of the radiator and sticking out rather than up!

Yes, use a pipe bender makes for a lot neater job! However if you are tight on space use elbows.

How many rads are you running?, no more than 3 or 4 off 15mm pipe, if more then use 22mm to the first few.

Holes : I'll go large then and either 20mm or 25mm. Then wood floor to about 20mm and covers.

Freestanding : Yup they sit on cast feet but also have a couple of wall ties too.

Valves : will have a think about flow to top and return at opposite bottom... Was planning on having both flow and return at opposite bottom level. The diagram with the rads indicates that this is normal as there is a diverter immediately inside from the flow and the opposite top is for a bleed valve.

Number of rads : I have three plus a towel rad upstairs. I'm running a 22mm 'backbone' as far as upstairs then tee-ing off back down to 15mm to supply these 4.
Downstairs is the same story - 22mm for the main 'backbone' then down to 15mm for 4 rads.

Spent yesterday cutting up access traps so that I can plan out the pipework a bit. Finding the straight runs quite easy in terms of planning but sort of getting a bit lost where they need to branch off and then up to the valves. Will have a play with the pipe bender and elbows today.

Tails : I mocked up the straight vs cranked tails on the 3-col Ancona rads and there is not much in it.
The bare plastered wall is zero.
The skirting will come to about 20mm out from that I guess.
If cranked then the pipe centres will be at about 45mm from zero.
If straight then the pipe centres will be at about 85mm from zero.

Not much in it but trying to find out what looks best and what is normal !

Have taken off 3 weeks from work to get it done so will be on here a bit for the next few weeks asking all kinds of annoying questions :)
Thanks for the help so far - much appreciated.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basic copper pipework questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back