Search the forum,

Discuss Baths... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Steel or acrylic?

Pros and cons...

Steel- great finish, strong, hard wearing, --- cold,

acrilic - warm good finish, easy to fit. ---- easily damaged

swings and roundabouts whether you want cold, hardwearing or warm, easily damaged

In an ideal world id fit steel every time,
strong, hard wearing, doesn't flex, can be re finished/repaired if scratched,
in reality fit acrylic 98% of the time

Steel then stuff loads of fibreglass underneath cos they loose heat..Acrylic gotta be good quality cos if you hold them to the light and and you see it then fat folk will break it..

Steel chips easily & badly if something hard falls on it. Acrylic can sometimes take a knock.
Cast iron for me personally - I loved the old ones.
But nobody has mentioned the heavy acrylic baths, which are really solid & need little support. Some are about 20mm thick at least

Too a certain extent gasman. Steel baths can be be rubbed back paint enameled and tcut'ed. so can cast.

Cast are the best. Hate removing them, they come out with the mash hammer, 5 bits. New taps, new waste and re enamelled, jobs a good one.
Steel next best.
Acrylic last.

Its all about how they are installed as well.

corronite as ray, super thick and heavy with a cost.
acrylic squeeks, tin looks like a proper bath.

depends on budget and speck too.

wont change my cast one tho!

Last edited by a moderator:
pressed steel for me or the heavy duty plastics you can get more shape in plastic but the cheapy ones always move eventually

Ordinary plastic baths I fit a 2x1 inch baton of wood along entire bottom edges. Bath won't move there away from tiles joint.

Depends on who is going to be using it.
Rental property then steel, good quality required then Armacast or similar.

Carronite is Wat I have 1800x 800 and the factory in 5 mins away from me

i would say armacast, best of both worlds. plastic but strong. I remember the legs being a s0d to fit, as the missing chunk of my right index finger reminds me!!!

As Ray says for me, would always go carronite now if allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baths... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I am looking to take my bath out and fit a shower. Regards to tanking. Is it ok to just seal everything with plastic rather than just paint tanking slurry? Thanks in anticipation, best regards Staggers
Replies
Views
D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes sunk into wall behind bath. Walls have fresh tiles. Have realised as about to fit shower these pipes one is set higher than the other. If you fit a...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock