Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi 105e no CH or DHW...lost cause? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bencrinkle

Hi all,​

First post so hello and thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

We have a Baxi 105e combi boiler that about 2 weeks ago suddenly stopped working. Other half had the heating on over night to dry some washing, knocked it off in the morning but then noticed there was no hot water. Checked the boiler and it was flashing a fan/flue error...Called the engineer in, he said there was no power getting up to the fan from the PCB which led him to believe the pcb was at fault...he ordered one for us (which took a WEEK to come) came to fit it to find it was the wrong kind!! Anyway..we sourced another one off Ebay, guy reassured me this was compatible, engineer fitted it....no dice...The boiler would kick in as normal...big flame, smaller flame and then cut out, no flame...and then it would do it all over again. I think at this point we had a flame error showing so the guy said it was likely a dodgy flame sensor electrode / lead? I googled it and this seemed like a fair punt so we picked up a new electrode and lead for £15 and he fitted it yesterday....exact same thing!!!! getting frustrated by this (bearing in mind he'd been back 3/4 times now) he called for backup, the pair of them have apparently ruled everything out (i say ruled out I guess they just visually checked everything because no parts, other than what had already been replaced and a pressure switch were changed) thermistor, heat exchanger, fan, pump, some other bits i'm not sure on the name off :/ they even got on to baxi who advised it was a blockage but they checked everything and couldn't find one...anyway...in the end they threw there hands up and basically said they didn't know what was wrong and we ended up pricing up a whole new system...pipes, flue, the lot!!! not what I need with a wedding looming at the end of the year. In fairness to the guys they were very reasonable and in pricing up a new system did what they could to make it as cheap as possible so i don't think for one minute they are on a blag just to overprice the job, i genuinely think they are stumped...they even suggested I get a second opinion just in case they had missed something stupid...hence why I'm on here asking for help...I've read quite a few Baxi related forums on here and a few other forums and I know you guys know your sh*t so I'm hoping beyond hope you can point me down the get it back up and running path rather than the give up and spend a whole lot of needed cash path that I'm currently on!!

Thanks

Ben

Call Baxi out for a Fixed Price repair

is that £250? The engineer did mention something about that. So I guess they come and fix it for that price regardless of work done? Seems a shame to shell out 250 if it's something stupid that would be less than that to actually replace but then it could end being more than that if we keep chucking parts at it :| grrrr friggin thing is doing my head in!!

is that £250? The engineer did mention something about that. So I guess they come and fix it for that price regardless of work done? Seems a shame to shell out 250 if it's something stupid that would be less than that to actually replace but then it could end being more than that if we keep chucking parts at it :| grrrr friggin thing is doing my head in!!

Yes, you could finish up paying more than that for parts, then the labour charge on top, if moneys a bit tight you can spread the re-payments with Baxi

Thanks mate, sound advice.

Your welcome, some boiler parts can be very expensive, & if you get it wrong you cant take them back, just replacing 1or2 items without labour could take you way over the 250 mark,

Your welcome, some boiler parts can be very expensive, & if you get it wrong you cant take them back, just replacing 1or2 items without labour could take you way over the 250 mark,

Well yeah as I say we are down £100 so far just on the electrode lead and PCB, I'm hoping the guy will take the PCB back but we'll see! It's annoying because it seems so close to being right but yet so far, you think it would just be a case of reading the fault code, swapping the appropriate part and away you go, much like you can do with cars these days! seems like a lot of the job is just suck it and see :(

Well yeah as I say we are down £100 so far just on the electrode lead and PCB, I'm hoping the guy will take the PCB back but we'll see! It's annoying because it seems so close to being right but yet so far, you think it would just be a case of reading the fault code, swapping the appropriate part and away you go, much like you can do with cars these days! seems like a lot of the job is just suck it and see :(

problem with fault code its only a guide, could have 2 or more problems and that's when it starts to get expensive, be lucky if he can return PCB once out of box, suppliers are reluctant to take them back, best of luck with that !!

Rather than using guys whose fault finding consists of swapping parts, get someone in who knows what they're doing or Baxi for a fixed price repair.

This thread is dangerously close to contravening our rules and as such will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi 105e no CH or DHW...lost cause? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock