Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi 80e assistance anyone.... Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Chaps

have been working on the above boiler today. Had to change the diaphragm in the diverter so took off the round assembly on the front of the diverter changed the diaphragm and replaced. Tried to pressurise the system and had a leak at the joint between the round part and the rest of the diverter. Have had it apart 3 more times and cannot get it to seal. Baxi say it doesn't have an oring seal or anything and I'm at the end of my tether.

Can any of you help

cheers

matt

Do you mean the diverter side, water coming 'out of' the spindle?

Do you mean the diverter side, water coming 'out of' the spindle?
Sorry I know it's hard to imagine without seeing it. In the attached pic I removed the round part of the valve showing at top of page. The leak is at the point where it mentions grub screws. I was of the impression that this should be a dry chamber but it doesn't seem to be

image.jpg

Sorry I know it's hard to imagine without seeing it. In the attached pic I removed the round part of the valve showing at top of page. The leak is at the point where it mentions grub screws. I was of the impression that this should be a dry chamber but it doesn't seem to be

No attached picture .. however, when you get the diaphragm kit there's this little 'o'ring you wonder WTFks that for? Well it goes on the diverter side of the hot water section, rarely replaced! :) Fit's on the 'opposite' side of the 'saucer' shaped hot water section.. if that makes sense? Take the grub screw out and replace the 'o'oring inside :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was adamant there should have been a seal but the bloke in the merchants (not my regular one) said it should be a dry chamber and there was no seal.

It'll be leaking back through the spindle from the diaphragm water section rather than out the diverter section I reckon. Is there not an o ring that the spindle passes through?

It should be a dry chamber. There is a very small o ring inside the pressure diff switch which if failed will leak mains water into the Dry chamber.
Or the large diverter bush has failed which will leak CH water and cause the boiler to lose pressure.

No attached picture .. however, when you get the diaphragm kit there's this little 'o'ring you wonder WTFks that for? Well it goes on the diverter side of the hot water section, rarely replaced! :) Fit's on the 'opposite' side of the 'saucer' shaped hot water section.. if that makes sense? Take the grub screw out and replace the 'o'oring inside :)
Understand completely mate. So there should be an o ring where the grub screws are. Bloody merchant swore blind there wasn't.

I just can't fathom why there is water anywhere near the grub screws if there's no seal

It should be a dry chamber. There is a very small o ring inside the pressure diff switch which if failed will leak mains water into the Dry chamber.
Or the large diverter bush has failed which will leak CH water and cause the boiler to lose pressure.
where is this o ring situated can you describe from the picture

If you undo the two copper pipes from the pressure dif, you can then loosen the 2 grub screws which allow you to pull off the press diff. turn it over and undo a small (10mm?) nut. under this nut iis a small o ring.
This will repair a mains water leak.

It'll be leaking back through the spindle from the diaphragm water section rather than out the diverter section I reckon. Is there not an o ring that the spindle passes through?
I'm at a loss mate When it's in situ I can't tell where the waters coming from other than dribbling out through the "dry chamber"

If you undo the two copper pipes from the pressure dif, you can then loosen the 2 grub screws which allow you to pull off the press diff. turn it over and undo a small (10mm?) nut. under this nut iis a small o ring.
This will repair a mains water leak.
im with you. That would make sense thank you so much

DV.442 bush is the other part that could cause a leak from this area. google it for a cheap replacment if ch pressure is going down.

gas man is spot on. dv.422 is from abcot uk.

I didnt know if i could mention where from.

Last edited:
Cheers gas man. I changed the diaphragm in the dif valve which was badly split. The rest of the body of the diverter valve is brand spanking new so would hope no issues with that. I'm hoping it might be the o ring has given up as Ollie mentioned.

Hi Riley, the little 'O'ring you get with the kit is a 'stuffing box' 'O'ring... the back of the hot water section has a removable threaded nut where the spindle passes through to activate the diverter valve spinle, that's where the 'o'ring belongs!

Both sides of the diaphragm in the hot water section are wet and under mains water pressure .. the whole thing works under the same principle as air in an air pressure switch, venturi present in the water section causing low pressure negative side of diaphragm .... :)

Anyone ever fitted a 3" one in a 105 instant ? Was tempted to butcher one as couldn't be bothered to go and get smaller one?

Anyone ever fitted a 3" one in a 105 instant ? Was tempted to butcher one as couldn't be bothered to go and get smaller one?

Imagine! :) Probably cost a lot less to go and get one than to sort out pipe reconfig :) :rofl:

I haven't got scissors in my tool box...... sh&t ... another tool I haven't acquired over the years...:lol:

She bought me these
mybu3a3a.jpg

And some safety scissors after my last injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi 80e assistance anyone.... Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock