Search the forum,

Discuss Become a smart meter installer.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pssst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I keep reading in trade mags and elsewhere about the apparent shortage of smart meter installers. I wonder if anyone on the forum has considered getting involved and if not,why not?

It's an interesting one it could be quite a good little sideline I would be interested if anyone has any direct experience

The wage has dropped a lot in last 2-3 years with sub contractors getting involved as well. My best mate is a senior fitter at major energy supplier and he tells me horror stories about how bad some of the installers are leaving soldered leaks, squashed lead tails etc..... That's what you get when they train electrical meter fitters for 2 months and put them on gas meters.

if your looking to get into the area they will give you some basic electrical training to change electric meters and it's not a hard job. Probably harder if you work for a sub contractor due to price work. There will be overtime and call out to cover.

Its true that the gene pool of installers is generally poor. No one seems to care as all HM Government want is for it to be a success but they want it done quick and they want it cheap. A lot of the fitters are lazy incompetent fecks who walk away from tricky jobs/butcher others/dump rubbish on the grid who just come and either cut the customer off or walk away.

Ive see jobs on the cards offered for smart meter installers for around the 20k a year mark. So doubt it will be worthwhile subbing to them to do any work.

I guess its the same old story mfgs,,pay peanuts,get monkeys. Smaller companies are now jumping on the smart metering band waggon,,seeking to recruit metermonkeys for peanuts and creaming off the profits whilst hoping to dump a certain amount of fallout and carp on to the gas emergency services who are duly mostly walking away from it.

I got offered a contract to fit em for place down midlands.
They paid crap.
Didnt bother as they would not commit a workload.

SSE are taking on. 29k to 33k i think i seen. Maybe wrong

spoke to a recently qualified installer today, ÂŁ27k plus bonus-3 weeks training course.
3 jobs a day

Yeh starting is 29600 up plus incentives . Just had a look.
If your still there for year 4 you get a ÂŁ7000 one off bonus (less tax)

spoke to a recently qualified installer today, ÂŁ27k plus bonus-3 weeks training course.
3 jobs a day

ÂŁ jobs a day ?? Blimey,what are they ? U40's ? I think if you have a UP1/1A ticket at one of these companies you are a GOD !!

Yeh starting is 29600 up plus incentives . Just had a look.
If your still there for year 4 you get a ÂŁ7000 one off bonus (less tax)

That sounds like a good gig. Lets face it meter installs are pretty easy.

ÂŁ jobs a day ?? Blimey,what are they ? U40's ? I think if you have a UP1/1A ticket at one of these companies you are a GOD !!
thats gas n elec combined most of the jobs.

he will pop in sometime, he can fill you in.

The dodgy jobs being done by the new crop of smart meter fitters continues unabated. Sa one the other day where he had bodged the mounting brackets and worst of all had fitted it with the regulator on the outlet ! It had been done a week or so previous.

Might be a daft question but why are they soldering pipework on meter installs ? Are the meter unions at different centres ?

Might be a daft question but why are they soldering pipework on meter installs ? Are the meter unions at different centres ?

no as they dont touch your side of the pipework

and no not normally if they are new bracket and new anaconda

The difficulty is that they may have to modify outlet pipework as the previous install might not be up to standard. Sometimes instead of altering the pipework to bring it up to BS standard, they just bodge it. As for lead outlets, well thats a whole other story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Become a smart meter installer.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi guys, any meter installers about? im looking to complete a course to get CCN1 qualified and met1 qualified so I can look at becoming a smart meter installer. once qualified all employers seem to want 6 -12 months experience as a meter fitter. How do you guys gain the first years...
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good thing as my mother in law pours tonnes of water on the garden in summer, mostly watering weeds as she can't tell the difference from grass. But the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am having an on-going battle with my energy supplier trying to get a smart gas meter. I have a Landis &gyr installed which was a replacement for a faulty meter about 3 years ago. The installer at the time told me it was not a Smart meter. The energy company is insisting its a SMETS1 -...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively old unit however, it is still in great working condition and has been serviced on a regular basis. I'd like to add a Nest Thermostat to control the...
Replies
Views
Considering buying the Tado Smart Thermostat and valves. My upstairs radiators are older and I'm unsure if the valves will be compatible. Has anyone had any experience of installing Tado Smart Valves. Do you know how to determine if they'll fit?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock