Search the forum,

Discuss Becoming a civi plumber once i left the army in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and i'm hoping to get some advice from anyone who can help.

I am in the Royal Engineers and i have completed the nvq level 2 (or city and guilds 2) i am on a course at the moment gaining my gas quals and i finish the course in March. I will be leaving the army in approx 2 years and i need to get as much plumbing experience while i can before i am back on civi street.

I guess working as a plumbers mate is the best way forward. I am also happy to work for free as i am in full time work gaining the experience is more important than earning extra money.

Can anyone advise me on what steps to take in order to get my foot in the door?

I'm based in Kent so also if there is anyone in the area who can advise on who to approach or where to look it would be appreciated.
I'd be grateful for advice whether it's from a trainee or someone with 30 yrs experience.

Cheers :eek:

you could write to plumbers in your area explain what youve explained here - see if they will take you on - like you say you have got your 6129 - and your gonna be getting your gas - so your not far off what you need as a minimum to go self employed but you just need that someone to give oyu some experience - good luck mate wont be easy but if anyone deserves it i think the lads who have been fighting on our behalf out there deserve a chance when they get back.

Hi. Why not post this request to Help the Heroes as it the sort of campaign that needs to be resurrected since the closure of skill centres who providing training and employment opportunity for ex service personnel.

Hi Ash, I'm an ex-sapper as well. Done my gas on my class 1 in 2007. Left the mob last year and am subbying for a time served guy up in Manc.

Two years before I left (2009) and inbetween the 'stan I wrote to fifty gas fitters off the Gas safe reg in my area. I listed my quals and experiance and told them that I would travel to where they were working, pay my own fuel and use my own tools when I was "at home" on a weekend or on leave.

I only got one reply! The guy said to me I'll give you a trial to see if you are a hard worker and are any good. Luckily I used to dig holes in the road for a living so was used to hard graft, which you will need when doing installing.
Today this is the guy I work with and we now count each other as friends.

You are going about it the right way as you can't go straight into the trade and survive as self-employed unless you have a mentor and some experiance. The economic climate is also much worse than 2007 so be prepared for plenty of knockbacks. The most important thing is to show that your mega keen and don't give up if you really want it. I really wanted to get into the trade and if I hadn't got a start I would have gone to my local merchants everyday on leave to mither someone to give me a chance. Good luck.

P.s Get hold of Andy Andersons number (ex H&P staffy at chatham) as he's been a fitter man and boy. When you do your portfolio ask the bloke your out with if he's looking for anyone.

Hey mikeygas that's a big help cheers pal!

only 1 reply from 50? that's nuts gives me a good idea of what to expect though.
I'll ask about Andy Anderson hopefully i can get something sorted while i'm still here.

I'll update this post when i have something to report, thanks again.

Dude hows your search going? I read this forum a while back and haven't heard more on your progress on securing a civil job. I'm in a similar boat only I'm still considering weather if the army plumbing experience would be worth going through to secure me a well paid job in civi life. I'm don't see y you should be wanting to work for free mate surely you can join a firm.
Like some one mentioned here about company's that train ex-military and guarantee work placement, I've read all about it man so please would be great if you kept us updated. Cheers and wish u all the best.

Ash posts more off open forum in the plumbers arms. But he appears to be doing great!

I consider him to be one of our favourite successes.

Sure, he takes a wobble now and again, who wouldn't, but he learns fast and rarely asks the same question twice.

I'll give him a nudge to come out and rabbit.

Meanwhile, good luck to you with your endeavours.

I'll draw this thread to his attention.

That is so good to hear. I read this post today and hoped he was doing OK. Thanks for updating us Croppie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Becoming a civi plumber once i left the army in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock