Search the forum,

Discuss best way to measure mains flow rates/pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I'd be interested to hear how you all measure mains flow rates/pressure in a house.
I'm soon to install a 10kw electric shower in a friend's house. I'm a student plumber. My tutor has advised me to check the house's flow rates and pressure are enough for the shower.
I've got a flow rate cup and pressure gauge, which I tried out in my own home.
My kitchen tap measured 8 litres/minute, less than the outside tap at 18 litres/minute. I'm aware that iso valves, pipe bends and fittings, and taps themselves can affect the readings.
Ideally, I'm after a quick, easy way to take accurate measurements (without needed to access a bare pipe).
How do you all take these measurements?
Jennie

Get one of these and bang in it on the washing machine tap ideally to get a reading in bar:

Monument Tools Mains Water Pressure Test Gauge | NoLinkingToThis

For an electric shower you need a min of 1 bar usually. Do not worry about flow rate for this!

Also you really need to check the electrical side of the installation for a job like this:

- How far from the consumer unit are you? The type of cable needed will cost an arm and a leg and you will need to have a mind to how it will be routed . . ..
- Does the consumer unit have an RCD? Does it have a spare 'way' on it? if the answer is no to either of these then a new consumer unit could be needed which is £££!

Also you will need to put a 'full bore' isolation valve on the feed for the shower so not to reduce pressure at the point of use . . .

then turn on a tap to read what the dynamic water pressure is, rather than seeing the standing pressure youll get if you dont, quite a difference normally

I have a pressure gauge that goes onto a washing machine valve. Flow is normally a pop bottle and stopwatch.

be careful when testing pressure at washing machine taps or bib taps. If they have a check valve built in it may give you a false reading.

the same tool sold by screwfix is 4 quid cheaper at toolstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best way to measure mains flow rates/pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock