Discuss BG "repair and cover" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ma701ss

Hi, my boiler is faulty and likely going to cost a lot to repair. To know where we stand, I thought BG's "repair and cover" deal looks good. You pay £99 and they will repair it "whatever needs doing". You then pay for Homecare monthly, so you get the boiler repaired, a service (presumably just a gas safety inspection) and breakdowns are covered for the year. A gas engineer I know suggested this but I don't know if it's any good. How do they "get you"?

Telling you things are wrong / need to add things that you don't need or want also telling you parts are not available eg down to age

Depending on age and faults of boiler we do quite often get people to have a fixed price repair from the manufacturers, quite often works out cheaper for them

Depending on age and faults of boiler we do quite often get people to have a fixed price repair from the manufacturers, quite often works out cheaper for them

That's quite different to British Gas service plan tho

That's quite different to British Gas service plan tho
Realise that but they already know the boiler is faulty and will be expensive to fix, surely most service plans insist on a initial assessment to check the state of boiler/system before taking on the contract?

Realise that but they already know the boiler is faulty and will be expensive to fix, surely most service plans insist on a initial assessment to check the state of boiler/system before taking on the contract?

Nope well not with bg as long as you sign up but you pay more in the long run

Because anyone know of bg fixing anything first time :D

they wont cover it if more than 10 years old.
the aherm, 'service' is just a safety check or an upsell oportunity to convince you it is dangerous and obsolete boiler and wont cover it anymore unless they fit you a new one, then wont do that unless you pay for a flush, which they wont do unless you have a filter (£1k for the 2)
the cost over a year will be more that of a decent indy engineer will charge to repair your fault in the first place!
never known a repair to cost more than £400 personally.

what boiler and what fault?

You pay £99 and How do they "get you"?

They get you with the years contract to homecare which adds another £150 or so to your bill on easy terms and they get the chance to sell you all the important things you never knew you needed to have to get a heat.
+ they know once people sign up to the "security"of big gas by direct debit, not many cancel after a year so you might be paying another 150 next year and the year after.

I read the original repair and cover a few years ago and we used to advise people to get the repair done and then cancel a little later if they didn't really want to go the full term.

Just read the terms and conditions, they shortened them a while back as they were too complicated.

They actually make most of their money through keeping people on a service contract for the lifetime of the boiler.

The upgrades and Rip off's as everyone puts it are extra's for them but if you took how much money they make for powerflushing and divided it by the amount of service contract customers it only put a few pence on the annual servicing charges.

Could probably give you a better explanation if we knew what the problem with the boiler was?

If it was corrosion then it may be different as not covered in the service contract, if it was a fault fan then seems like a good idea to take out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BG "repair and cover" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock