Discuss Blocking the vent/overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JackPlumber

Hi. I posted this to relevant thread few days back but there was no response so I'm trying a new thread.

I have gravity system with solid fuel stove and oil boiler with dual coil cylinder. Everything worked fine until I replaced the oil boiler with an air to water heat pump. The new heat pump wasn't working great and was reaching 50Celsius very quickly with little heat output from rads. Turns out the HP has a large 400W circ pump. This was pushing a large flow up the vent pipe and into the header tank with 50C water in the header tank. I did a silly "fix" of bending the overflow pipe into the header tank to stop the splashing and noise from attic. Now the DHW from immersion is thermo looping from solid fuel coil in header tank. And cylinder is cold couple of hours after immersion is switched off.

My new idea is to bend overflow pipe back out of the header tank and fit a TP valve on end of it to stop overflow from high powered HP circ pump and still allow for pressure and temperature relief in event of solid fuel high output.

Anyone see any issues with this? I understand it prop doesn't meet any regulations but I am only interested in safety and practical working of the system. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Wow. Please get someone in who knows what they're doing. For you safety's sake

As Riley says, don't mess about with it anymore or you could do you and your family serious harm or worse
Employ someone who knows what they're doing to look at your system
Do not block the vent pipe
Time to stand back and let a professional sort the diy mess out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocking the vent/overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock