Discuss Blowback damage/explosion risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone
I am not a trader, but I am currently renting small industrial unit with an old oil heater. Couple of weeks ago my landlord accessed the unit to perform annual safety check with an engineer. He did it without letting me know of any planed works on the unit, but that's legal matters so I don't want to say any more.
The heating furnace was not in use by us for over the two years, oil and power disconnected, so only person with the right know how would be able to restart it. One of my colleagues complained about strong draft from the heater, so we disconnected the metal chimney and stuck some rugs at the burner side of the heater. Right into the heater round flange to the side.
When landlord came with engineer and they restarted/fired up that heater whole industrial unit filled with smoke within less than a minute. Heating engineer dismantled the heater and they found our bag of rugs.
Landlord now claims over thousand pound of loses, as he said lot of damage to the heater was cause by the blowback? He also said that it could have caused an explosion and killed him and the engineer.
Can anyone with oil heater experience comment on that please? What could possibly got destroyed and could it really cause explosion?
Thanks
Peter

Sounds a bit like two wrongs in my eyes. They shouldn’t have let themselves in without prior notice min 24 hours I believe, but you really shouldn’t have dismantled a combustion device without prior approval by your LL or at very least allowed him the opportunity to have it decommissioned, even temporarily, by a pro. The fact that they didn’t know the rugs were there could of course have been dangerous, I’m not sure to the extent of an explosion but certainly a fire and potentially a CO risk depending on the blockage. Might have to bite the bullet on it or at least pay out for an independent second opinion

Sounds like the sort of thing a court would need to decide on.
Two sides to every story and you shouldn’t have been stuffing rugs inside an appliance

You could also claim that you never have used the heater.

As far as you knew the heater never worked and the oil and power to it had been disconnected.

When was the last time the unit had been in operation?
How long have you rented the property for?

You could also claim that you never have used the heater.

As far as you knew the heater never worked and the oil and power to it had been disconnected.

When was the last time the unit had been in operation?
How long have you rented the property for?

We have been there for two years, but never used oil heater as advised by the landlord. He said its disconnected and should not touch it, which was fine with us.

Whoever was recommissioning the heater should have done a flue flow test, there could have been birds nests, squirrels etc after 2 years.

I'd lay the blame far more at the Engineer.

He may have only gone to do an Annual inspection, but once he found it disconnected (regardless of who did ) it then becomes a recommission.

What make Heater / burner is it?

Sounds like the sort of thing a court would need to decide on.
Two sides to every story and you shouldn’t have been stuffing rugs inside an appliance
As far as we were aware this unit was not operational. Apart from that, if landlord was to follow legal procedure and told me he is coming to work on the heater, we would have advise him of blocked chimney.
Does this type of units have some sort of meter inside? Something that engineer make record of each time service is being done?

Sounds a bit like two wrongs in my eyes. They shouldn’t have let themselves in without prior notice min 24 hours I believe, but you really shouldn’t have dismantled a combustion device without prior approval by your LL or at very least allowed him the opportunity to have it decommissioned, even temporarily, by a pro. The fact that they didn’t know the rugs were there could of course have been dangerous, I’m not sure to the extent of an explosion but certainly a fire and potentially a CO risk depending on the blockage. Might have to bite the bullet on it or at least pay out for an independent second opinion
Thanks. My take on this is exactly the same. If it was for a court to decide I believe blame would fall on both of us. I am however concern about cost or repair, especially that he's refusing to show me any invoices.

Clutching at straws a bit mate. Yes LL and his engineer should’ve done things differently but so should you by not blocking a combustion appliance

One more thing.
Landlord stated in his email, that engineer came to the unit to do annual service on the heater and after he finished he fired up the unit which resulted with smoke and damage. I know little about this type of equipment, but should he not be able spot this bag hanging out from the side flange into the burner? It was not up in the chimney but right inside this metal flange to which you connect chimney pipe.

Two sides to every story.

Ask for evidence of landlords engineers competency.

But really shouldn't have touched the heater.

Going forward, employ an oil engineer to look at the heater and confirm it's condition.

Then take legal advice.

Until you know what has been done ie invoices I don’t believe you have anything to answer

Reply to Blowback damage/explosion risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back