Discuss Blowback damage/explosion risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I would definitely employ an independent engineer to give you a professional input too

So it’s been repaired?
How much is he asking from you?
Right. So in november I exercised break lease on the property. I have cleared it mostly and landlord agreed to re-advertise. I have been paying lease up to date and got an email recently that they have found a new tenant. However I already paid for the next quarter and when asked for the overpaid rent back plus deposit unless he claims any damages, that's when all the problems started. He said that he and heating engineer went to the property couple of days after I informed him about break lease (which was illegal as he didn't inform me in advance as per our lease agreement) to service heating unit.
Furnace was blocked and blowback caused damage to some parts inside. He says he already paid 500+vat and is awaiting full report and some more parts to be replaced. Mind you it was in november and he didn't tell me a word or even asked me each time he went there without me knowing.
As he informed me about new tenant I don't have access to the property anymore.

I wouldn’t be paying a penny without proof
Well he refused to pay deposit back (2k) and retained overpaid lease (2k). As far as I knew he will claim any cost arising from finding another tenant, which is fine with me. I am not sure if he can retain overpaid rent towards any damages. But it's not like I have control over money I already paid as he ignores me when I ask to pay back. And when I did, he came up with heater damage that has taken place 4 months ago while I was still a tenant paying rent and he didn't informed me back then, just know.

Then you have two choices. You cut your losses and move on or you consult a solicitor and have a letter drawn up re withheld monies owing as there has been nothing official to back up your LL holding the money

You shouldn’t have blocked the flue. But I can’t see how it would cause £1000 of damage.
There would have been a lot of soot inside to clean out and the rug might have set on fire. It could have blown a flue seal.
Sounds like your landlord is charging you the full deposit. Only way he can do this is with proper invoices. If he can’t supply the invoice and report, then you have a case.
I would ask for these, stating if he doesn’t. You will be contacting your solicitor.

You shouldn’t have blocked the flue. But I can’t see how it would cause £1000 of damage.
There would have been a lot of soot inside to clean out and the rug might have set on fire. It could have blown a flue seal.
Sounds like your landlord is charging you the full deposit. Only way he can do this is with proper invoices. If he can’t supply the invoice and report, then you have a case.
I would ask for these, stating if he doesn’t. You will be contacting your solicitor.
Interesting. Could it cause explosion as he claims?

I’m not sure what you really Want us to say my friend. No one on here is going to say you are completely in the right go after your landlord. You’re in the wrong safety wise. He’s in the wrong in terms of procedure

Wouldn't he need a proof of me actually having a good reason to do it? Like disputes. I have always been good tenant, no problems ever.

So you didn’t put rags in the heater ?

Stop feckin about on an Internet forum and put your efforts into a legal offensive.

All I'm getting from your posts is clutching at straws.

You had blocked the flue because of a draught. You are liable.
You forgot to remove blockage. You are liable.
The landlord accessed the property after you had moved out but are still the tenant. Depends what it says in the agreement.

Yes but it’s tit for tat you shouldn’t have meddled with an appliance you were neither allowed or competent to work on

Reply to Blowback damage/explosion risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back