Search the forum,

Discuss Bog standard business - Charlie Mullins autobiography in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkesy_plumb

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I read this while on holiday last week and have to say was a very inspiring read. His story will relate to most plumbers in the fact of he started from nothing and through grit and determination, built a massively successful business.

However, as the book went on he began to reveal his true colours, calling himself "the worlds most famous plumber" and constantly talking down to other people. Even dismissing people with learning difficulties.

His hunger for fame is massively apparent throughout and the book became a little boring towards the end, with him constantly referring to himself as "famous" and "mega rich"

Definitely worth a read though as its refreshing to read something so close to our hearts but as a fan of mr Mullins, ill be looking at him in a different light from now on

What irritates me about him is he is in a position to better our industry and really make a difference, the media use him as the toto guy for all things plumbing.

Yet he continually belittles the trade and other tradesmen. And is about as much of a plumber as I am a zoologist

But you cannot knock him for what he has achieved. And many of us would love to be in that position.

I would question if he'd be able to do it all again though. Take away his fortune and fame and start today like many do. It was well documented he was an awful plumber. So with all the competition and regulation in the industry could he make it again?

Unfortunately we'll never know

I sort off take my hat off to him what he has achieved is superb, however the majority of these types of businessmen means they have a ruthless streak and there heads are well and truly up there ....
Not my type of bloke tbh. He may have loads of money , is he happy ?? We will never know that either .
Which leads my to my favourite saying ...... ' your health is your wealth ', dont ever forget it .

I agree with gasmanrob could these sort of guys be able to start from scratch now and achieve what they have?
When they started the competition wasn't as much and being a plumber was a bit of a joke trade in the 80's - 90's.
Their is a plumber i know down here who made a mint from slamming it in but even he says now its not as easy .
Times change

He documents how hes made most of his money in properties and newsagents. Its a great story but nobody could do it starting today, plus he was the only one of his kind in central london at the time taking on work for the higher end so hes bound to make it.

Hats off to the man, i just hope when i have a few quid i dont turn in to the douche he is today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bog standard business - Charlie Mullins autobiography in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
A 22 year old man with ‘weird looking’ eyes and ‘sewn on’ hair claimed he is Britain’s first ‘Test Card Baby’, the result of a long standing on-screen relationship between Bubbles the clown and Marcia Jackson. The pair were famous for their appearances on the BBC test card from 1967-1998...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
P
Hi all I worked for a plumber for about 3 and a half years back in Cape Town. He pretty much threw me in the deep end saying" At least I got to do so much more than when he was an apprentice" - I appreciate it now but at the time all covered in brown stuff from grinding through an old earthern...
Replies
Views
PipeNinja
P
J
Hello. I'm currently halfway, just short of, through a ND for I.T practitioners in Software Development at college, I chose it as I have a passion for games *which 16 almost 17 year old does lad does?* and since I was younger have wanted to design them or work in I.T. I'm now finding that rather...
Replies
Views
uug197h
U
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock