Discuss Boiler and Megalow mistery in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

It's possible to have a combi and a DHW cylinder on a heating zone. E.g. combi provides HW to kitchen and one part of the house, cylinder provides HW to rest. This arrangement can work nicely for medium-sized houses as long as the zones's flow temperature is 65°C.
What's the point though? Just seems a daft arrangement to overcomplicate things. Also if anything you want the kitchen tap off the combi, as that's the tap most people open and shut for 10 seconds.

What's the point though?
Post #8 opened with "A combi would remove the cylinder." My point was that this that this doesn't always have to be the case.
Just seems a daft arrangement to overcomplicate things.
There are circumstances where such a setup solves problems. For instance, if the boiler is in the kitchen but there is a long run to the cylinder. Or, when the household wants to be able to run two showers at the same time. There are other ways to solve these problems, of course, e.g. electric showers and undersink heaters but, in my opinion, combi+cylinder can be an option worth considering.
Also if anything you want the kitchen tap off the combi, as that's the tap most people open and shut for 10 seconds.
Sentence 2 of my post started "E.g. combi provides HW to kitchen...".

With the situation below, this morning we had 4 showers, and the forth person had cold water.. I turned on an extra hour on the boiler at that point, but the water was still cold… (I really wish the system was smart enough to send water to the shower first.. and then fill the cylinder).

i guess 170liters is just not enough to take 4 showers one after the other….?

Cylinder is 170liters
  • generally wife and u shower in the morning and kids late in the afternoon
  • 2 adults and 2 children

Set the boiler to come on before you go for a shower or set the time for heat hw from 0060-2200 you can take 15 showers then

Look, if you want hot water you have to pay for it- the more you want the more you pay.

If you press boost for an hour when the first person showers, the boiler will replace the water they use and you can all have nice hot showers.

I’d be interesting to know what turning it on between 6 and 2200 means in terms of electric bill…

It’s heated via gas isn’t it hence the boiler

Also won’t use any more energy than normally as your using the hot water so your using energy that has to be replaced

Also gas is 1/3 cheaper than electric

Reply to Boiler and Megalow mistery in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to...
Replies
Views
My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock