Discuss Boiler bypass pipework – correct design? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

A plumber recently told me my bypass pipework is poorly designed as it’s offering a low path of resistance v the motorised valve T junctions, and therefore is passing water constantly. I have noticed that, some minutes after the CH starts up, this bypass pipe gets hot along its entire length up to the point at which it meets the Return pipe to the boiler which is cooler.

The rads & DHW cylinder work well (they get hot quickly and there is no boiler cycling).
The boiler, DHW cylinder and MVs are all located in the basement.

The attached picture shows 3 MVs ['CH top 3 floors' (28mm In/Out), DHW cylinder (22mm In/Out) and 'CH Basement' (22mm In/15mm Out)], then the bypass which begins at the bottom of this short run. Below this you can see the gas pipe to the boiler and the filling loop with pressure gauge.

The bypass has a fixed valve set slightly open + an ABV set to 0.5.

The plumber thought the bypass should T off between the top & middle MVs (ie, 'CH top 3 floors' MV and DHW MV), but there is not enough pipe length to do this.

Is he right about the poor design?
What would be a better design?
If this is complex to achieve, is it worth it V the potential efficiency improvements?

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_123657.jpg
    IMG_20230522_123657.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 31
keep turning the bypass up until it doesn't do that. Then once you've got it so its not red hot the other side of the bypass, turn off your demand and let pump overrun work, it should now get hot very quickly.

If it does that I wouldn't look much more into it. If that doesn't work then replace the bypass and re-configure the pipe layout. No point wasting time refilling and draining for the price of a new bypass, just do 2 birds one stone.
Thanks for the guidance. The ABV is new, but might be faulty. I have set it to its absolute maximum (0.6), but the bypass pipe still gets hot on the output side of the ABV, with all TRVs set to maximum.
You mention re-configuring the pipe layout - what should the new layout be?
(I note that a bypass pipe should T off between the pump and the first Motorised Valve, whereas in the current configuration my bypass is located after the pump and the 3 MVs.)

Last edited:
What speed is your pump on ?

Try knocking it down to cp1 and see if your system works as normal eg all rads heat up etc

(I note that a bypass pipe should T off between the pump and the first Motorised Valve, whereas in the current configuration my bypass is located after the pump and the 3 MVs.)
If your description is accurate, the current configuration needs fixing so that the bypass allows circulation when the zone valves are closed and the pump is operating for the 'overrun' period.

Originally Constant Pressure 2, but after feedback from Chuck regarding incompatibility with an ABV, I set it to Constant Speed 2.
I wouldn't use constant speed on a Y-plan system like yours. CP works better, you just need to set the ABV carefully, by trial and error, rather than guessing a setting.

Some of what you say makes me suspect your ABV is never closing, i.e. faulty.

Reply to Boiler bypass pipework – correct design? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock