Discuss Boiler discharging hot water from tundish pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moysey

we recently had hot water being discharged from the tundish pipe on our boiler on a regular basis, immediately after the bolier had been on.

We called a plumber out who within 2 mins told us it must be the t&prv valves and he would need to replace them (he did not inspect anything). He came back a few days later and replaced them at a total cost of £400.

The problem persisted so we called him back. He then said he'd check the temperature setting - he checked and found them set to max and turned them down to 55oC.

This fixed the problem. However, I was annoyed as my feeling was that he should have checked the temp first as it transpires this was the problem and not the valves. Therefore, the first repair was unecessary and we wasted £400.

I complained to the Company and they have told me that having spoken to the plumber in question, the valves were faulty and needed replacing, evidenced by them letting by even when the cylinder was cold.

I dispute this as the plumber was not here when the valves were letting by - he was never here when the system leaked. Also, the system only leaked hot water, not cold.

Could someone help me to understand if the plumber has acted approrpiately and/or whether the replacement of the valves was necessary or whether the plumber should have checked the system temp settings first?

Regards

Things may well of been able to be done differently however you have no idea or proof of what was checked or done, you are making assumption, rightly or wrongly about what happened and maybe putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 4 or maybe 5,unless you have the old parts, you have no proof of any of your assumptions and it would be/is your inexperienced and unqualified opinion against an hopefully experienced qualified operative
I can tell a great deal having looked at a boiler for 2 to 5 mins and there is a good argument that once this safety device has been operated it should be replaced, I would however be concerned that the thermostat was just turned down and not replaced as sounds like it is out of calibration and should be replaced

imho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler discharging hot water from tundish pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock