Search the forum,

Discuss boiler no longer responding to thermostat and programmer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Delph79

Hi all,

For the past 3 days my Viessmann Vitodens 100W has been overheating my house, regardless of the programmer and the thermostat telling it to or not. My wireless Honeywell stat was installed at the same time as my boiler, i.e. 4.5 years ago. They have always had trouble communicating but this year I was having no issues for the first winter since I have lived in my flat (5 years). The previous boiler failed aged 6 because the piping system is small and prone to build up. I have a Magnaclean filter and the system was flushed before the new boiler was installed. I was told my installer was a cowboy and had wired the system wrongly by the engineers who subsequently came to maintain the boiler every year and eventually fixed.

Can anybody please make suggestions as to what may be causing the problem and whether I hou call an engineer urgently? the only workaround I have found that works is to switch the system off (I have this switch that runs the programmer, boiler and probably feeds the valves to the water tank), which means I must switch off before the temperature gets out of hand and then switch on again an hour or two before I get up! Not good!

Thanks in advance

Hello and Welcome. Looks like you have no choice but get an engineer out.
I am not gas qualified, but if your system has any motorised valves, one of them might be faulty. You could suggest this to the engineer when you phone. The valves often have a square white head (or can be silver metal) fixed onto a brass body, if you want to give details of actual make so the engineer has one.

thanks both, there was a suspicion of one of the valves not working properly during a previous boiler maintenance session, and it was almost changed but in the end, the engineer managed to get it to work again. I had a play with it last night but nothing was happening (though it did the night before).
My thermostat is a wireless Honeywell CMT707 (would need to double check the model number once home but it looks exactly like this one)

I am based in London.

Good boiler and decent thermostat. Should be no issues fault finding that. London is a big place.

Might be, just be a matter of replacing the batteries in the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler no longer responding to thermostat and programmer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Thermostat and Programmer not communicating with Boiler. Both have been replaced. Any ideas? On the Glowworm boiler 18sxi I can use the CH controller to switch on/off the boiler, that works fine. Also upstairs i have a tank, when I switch that on I get hot water. But what else can I check...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I
I've had my tado system in my new build for 5 years now and it's been fine. Yesterday morning I changed the batteries on the second floor thermostat and now it's not switching on the boiler to heat that floor. The thermostat display is fine and the app is fine. All systems say they are fine and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
Hi all, the second Salus programmer thermostat has failed on my Grant oil fired combi boiler. Reading on here, I gather Salus aren’t very highly thought of, so I won’t be replacing like for like again. So what programmer thermostats would you recommend, wired (as it’s one less thing to go...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock