Currently reading:
Boiler still dropping pressure despite new pressure relief valve

Discuss Boiler still dropping pressure despite new pressure relief valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JRP1414

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice if I may please.

I have a Ferroli F30E combi boiler. It was already in the house when we moved in so I'm not sure how old it is, but I would say at least 5 years old.

Over the past 12 months, I have had to top up the water a couple of times as the pressure has dropped below the minimum 1 bar required and the system has shut itself off. I assumed that it was normal for this to happen over time, not really knowing much about boilers.

A couple of days ago, the pressure dropped again. I refilled the system but within a few minutes it was gone again. I followed advice given to other users on here and checked the pressure relief valve outlet outside. Sure enough, the water was literally flowing out.

I called a gas engineer out who confirmed my thoughts that the PRV had failed. Unfortunately, however, the PRV on this type of boiler comes as a unit with the manifold and pressure switch together, at some ridiculous cost of £75-100. As a result, the engineer suggested a cheaper way around by fitting a new bog standard PRV (£15) on the discharge pipe from the old one.

The boiler filled back up and everything seemed to be fine. However, a few hours later, I've noticed that the pressure has dropped again. Not completely, but about 0.5 bar. The discharge pipe is slowly dripping outside and the pressure continues to gradually decrease.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Could the new PRV be faulty?

Could this way of fitting an extra PRV after the faulty one be causing a problem?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

He cured the symptom. Not the problem. Few thoughts...

1. Did he just cap off the old discharge?
2. Did he check the obvious?
3. It's a ferroli.
4. It's a ferroli.......

And finally......

We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers, cookers or ANY gas appliances for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im...-gas-engineer/

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a PM (Private Message) with your gsr details to either Gas man - View Profile: gas man - Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK or Redsaw - View Profile: REDSAW - Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK who will check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Providing gas-related advice to anybody who should not be touching gas and cannot prove their competetence is unacceptable. We will take whatever action we deem appropriate to prevent such advice being given

Thank you.

UKPF TA's, Mods and Admin teams.

[DLMURL="http://www.co-gassafety.co.uk/deaths.html"]CO Gas Safety[/DLMURL]

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add it is a Ferroli they are not made in a factory like other boilers they are forged in the bowels of hell by satan himself. Can anyone guess what boilers I was working on today?

Ferrolis are usually a 10 on the richter scale

My opinion: - you tried the low cost repair option - unfortunately, it didn't work. So I think you have to get your GSR back and ask him to fit the proper part.

On the plus side, you can sell him an as-new PRV for only £14.99 (that maybe doesn't work properly?)!

Well it's fixed. Seems the pressure gauge was a bit out so it was over pressurised. Looks like the cheap fix worked.

Thank you all for your fantastic advice, it was really helpful.

I shall rest assured that if I ever need a gas man in the future, I'll know exactly where to come.

Yeah. How about watch your lip.

That material new enough?

Don't get snotty with us just because you have one of the worst boilers on the planet.

Ooh, what rattled your cage?! First rule of pi55 taking - if you can't take it back, don't dish it out in the first place.

Hmm, boilers produced by folk in the gas industry who, funnily enough, have a vested interest in future faults developing?

Ooh, what rattled your cage?! First rule of pi55 taking - if you can't take it back, don't dish it out in the first place.

Hmm, boilers produced by folk in the gas industry who, funnily enough, have a vested interest in future faults developing?

I prefer to call it fault-finding. Sounds more professional.

Yeah, two things..... Pick a fight with me or gas man and you're on a loser straight away. Secondly you've just confessed to working on something you shouldn't be touching.

Bye bye cretin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler still dropping pressure despite new pressure relief valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock