Discuss brass pipe ,where to get some and how to bend it. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

that bloke.

i am trying to replicate a victorian brass and copper shower. i already have a brass mixer tap but i need a brass riser.
does anyone know where i can source some brass pipe? do the usual plumbing supplies stock it?
also , i will need to pull a 90 bend but without creasing the pipe like normal benders do , any ideas on how to do this?

and , i will also need polished brass fittings (not the modern cheap laquered gold effect stuff), an elbow and a few other bits and bobs , is there a good online supplier for these bits?

a copper shower rose i can get.

this is what i am trying to copy. i know i can buy them ready made but they are going into a period property and the modern laquered stuff just doesnt look right and an original is way off my budget.

index

863521big400.jpg

Hi. Bending it can be difficult. The method i would use if time is not an issue is sand loading ( dry sand) and heat.

Pick a soft piece and anneal it until cherry red. Try a spring or a forming block to bend or if annealed properly ease a bend in it with your hand after it has air cooled or been quenched while cherry red. Its only copper and zinc. Do it a bit at a time annealing it again when it gets hard to bend.
You could also sand load it as Just lead says's.

There is also a product that you use the same way as sand but its not sand and unfortunately I have forgotten its name.

I'll come back on if I find out.

I'd look for a local stockist if I was you, it may be expensive getting just a few lengths sent through the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I am after is to sleeve some 22mm copper with shrouds to screw down onto the floor!

thanks guys.
Winston i think you need Brass Tube if its only to cover copper pipe, not pipe. If i am not mistaken pipe has a thicker wall than tube. i was going to use polished copper to cover the feeds to the bath with brass trimmings , i know it will tarnish eventually but it is between the bath and the wall anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
pop down the local pikey camp they should have a nice piece of brass:)

You could try a good model engineering supplier for small quantities of brass.
Alternatively non ferrous stock holders may keep it, try looking in yellow pages or Google search. There are a lot of brass alloys and a good stock holder could probably advise on what can bent. Regarding fittings I think you may well have to finish and polish them yourself. I would try the 'Yorkshire' group as they used to make solid (cast) brass elbows etc. Tectite also do a brass push fit but they would hardly be in keeping with period design!

goodluck bending brass pipe, make sure you buy ten times what you might want, as you will trash most of it, brass will need to be machine bent,to give any chance of a decent appearance, it willl work out cheaper just to buy it

i am trying to replicate a victorian brass and copper shower. i already have a brass mixer tap but i need a brass riser.
does anyone know where i can source some brass pipe? do the usual plumbing supplies stock it?
also , i will need to pull a 90 bend but without creasing the pipe like normal benders do , any ideas on how to do this?

and , i will also need polished brass fittings (not the modern cheap laquered gold effect stuff), an elbow and a few other bits and bobs , is there a good online supplier for these bits?

a copper shower rose i can get QUOTE]Hi how are you getting on with your shower I am looking to make one of these useing copper could you tell me where to get the copper shower rose from thanks

as the original post is 3 1/2 years old either the op has completed his task or given up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to brass pipe ,where to get some and how to bend it. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock