Discuss BS5440-1 preventing gas fire upgrade.... Help!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I would like to replace our existing Gas Fire, which is the original appliance fitted from new 20 years ago. The issue is that Gas Safe regulations have changed since and mean that our property (and many others could not be constructed this way!).

Our gas fire (a balanced flue) vents from our wall that forms the boundary, and lies in our neighbours property. The area it vents to is not an access point it's a narrow strip of land between the properties and lies entirely within their garden. Our vent is at 60cm and is directly facing their vent. Neither their or our property has a window or door on those walls.

Gas Safe (utterly unhelpful) say that the flue cannot protrude through a boundary wall.... well it already does and was perfectly legal when the properties were build. We cannot move the fire place as there is no other external wall to the lounge and running pipework through 2 upper floor is not desirable, cost effective, or practical.

Gas Safe have offered no solutions or practical advice merely informing that "It's not our job..." and "you can't have a flue that goes out there".

Has anyone any practical advice or solutions? This cannot be an isolated case. Any advice gratefully received. We do not want to go electric, though appreciate we may have to if we don't want to stick to a crappy, tired old fire place.

Would getting the boundary re-defined so it was half-way between the two houses work fix the problem? It's odd that this is not where is is, anyway. Maybe ask your solicitor what they think about approaching your neighbour with a proposal.

I suspect that the most cost-effective solution is to switch to electricity for that fire.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think the neighbour would go for a boundary re-definition without some extortionate fee - even though the land is largely blocked off from the garden with a permanent fence at the other side. It's common on the estate (mix of Wimpy, Barratts & Wilson) with the vents positioned in the garden or on the drive of the neighbour.

Someone has suggested that there can be a pipe running up the side of the house so the gasses vent higher up ?

I'll check out the flueless fires. Electric is just something neither of us really want.

Reply to BS5440-1 preventing gas fire upgrade.... Help!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back